Morgan County Prepares for Other Fires
Firefighters put out those flames, but a burning possibility about more fires concerns residents. Although the fire didn't reach her home, Melanie Mullins of Gravois Mills said it still sparked her to take precautions.
"Got like my birth certificates and everything all in order in case I needed to pack them to leave," she explained. "You know, the important stuff."
The fire destroyed several abandoned cars. But, firefighters prevented any damage to nearby homes.
Chief Ed Hancock said the biggest problem was lack of resources because the department has only two paid firefighters.
"We had a pretty good response for a weekday call in midday," he said, "you know, when the folks are out on their jobs and regular duties. But, we had a good response."
Hancock said residents should make sure their homes are as safe as possible.
"Need to build an interface between the house and the wild land, an area that's free of leaf litter, debris, things that could catch fire," he added.
Mullins plans to order a dumpster to dispose of trash instead of burning it.
A firefighter who was hurt was released Wednesday from Lake Regional Hospital.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: