MU Dorms Catch Fire Again
The Columbia Fire Department said a box fan motor overheated in a basement maintenance room of the Gillett and Hudson dorm buildings.
"At first I didn't believe it, I was like how is that possible- another fire in a week," MU student Lauren Ryffel said. "If they were lucky they grabbed homework to do."
Last week students in gillett and hudson dorms had to evacuate during a fire in the basement. When this newest fire forced evacuation, some students saw it as an annoyance.
The Residential Life Department said everyone cooperated during this fire.
"Because the previous one had been a concerned situation, the students took it seriously, they got themselves out of the facility," Residential Life representative Kristen Temple said. "They were very patient."
Residential Life works with the fire department and student staff members to prepare for such emergencies. Students then conduct fire drills twice a year.
Residents said waiting across the street for the all-clear is the worst part.
"Thousands of dollars of stuff you bought specifically for your dorm room sitting up there, and you don't know where this fire is," Ryffel said.
The Columbia fire department says this fire caused less than $10,000 in damage, and no injuries have been reported.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: