MU Health Care, Columbia Surgical Associates to affiliate
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri Health System and the Columbia Surgical Associates both announced Monday they will be working together to advance and expand heath care for central Missouri patients.
Walter Peters, M.D., president and senior partner of Columbia Surgical Associates, said, "For years, Columbia's health care community has discussed ways to build bridges between community and university physicians and strengthen Columbia's position as a destination for excellent surgical care. Today's announcement is historic because of this groundbreaking ‘town-gown' affiliation. It will benefit CSA patients, who will now have more choices about where they want to receive care."
MU Health Care employs more than 500 university physicians, including more than 100 specialty surgeons. Columbia Surgical Associates consists of 10 surgeons who specialize in general, bariatric, vascular, colorectal and breast cancer surgery, and also includes 35 other health professionals and staff.
Mitch Wasden, MU Health Care chief executive officer and chief operating officer, said, "We consider the proposed affiliation to be a model for integrating health care resources to better serve patients, while preserving the historic strengths of the university and community physicians providing the care."
Peters and Wasden said some goals of the affiliation include:
• Improving efficiency in the delivery of health care services for patients in central Missouri and throughout the state
• Building on Columbia's already excellent reputation as a destination for specialty surgical care
• Giving patients of Columbia Surgical Associates a choice they have not had before: Using MU Health Care hospitals and clinics for surgical procedures
• Creating new opportunities for MU School of Medicine faculty and community physicians to collaborate on teaching the next generation of health care providers
• Facilitating the development, implementation and monitoring of best practices for improving patient outcomes
• Continuing to expand use of the electronic medical record and similar technology
The release said CSA physicians will continue to serve patients at Boone Hospital Center and at 3220 Bluff Creek Dr. in Columbia. The new affiliation means CSA physicians will also have privileges at University Hospital, MU Women's and Children's Hospital and other MU Health Care facilities.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: