MU, many public schools to dismiss early due to weather concerns
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri-Columbia, Stephens College, Columbia College, and numerous public school districts are closing early Thursday because of the possibility of hazardous weather and driving conditions.
You can find a complete list of early dismissals and closings here.
KOMU 8 Chief Meteorologist Kenton Gewecke said, "While freezing rain is possible, most areas will experience freezing drizzle and eventually light sleet as the afternoon progresses and temperatures continue to move below zero. Flurries will then be possible in the evening."
He said there is one "good thing" of note. Ground temperatures will be higher heading into the new cold front, because recent temperatures, however briefly, have been around the 50 degree mark.
"This means it will take a little longer for roads to accumulate a glaze," Gewecke said.
But, as ground temperatures go below freezing, road conditions will deteriorate.
"As the afternoon goes on and the ground temperatures also go below freezing, road conditions will likely decrease; especially on untreated roads," Gewecke said.
Read the complete and very detailed forecast from Kenton on his Facebook page.
Columbia Public Schools says it decided to dismiss classes two and a half hours early Thursday "in the interest of safety."
This list includes closing times for each of CPS's schools:
- Battle, Hickman, and Rock Bridge high schools will close at 1:35 p.m.
- Douglass High School will close at 1:15 p.m.
- Gentry, Jefferson, Lange, Oakland, Smithton, and West middle schools will close at 12:05 p.m.
- Ridgeway Elementary School will close at 12:25 p.m.
- Eliot Battle, New Haven, Midway Heights, Rock Bridge, and Two Mile Prairie elementary schools will close at 12:10 p.m.
- CORE/Quest will close at 12:30 p.m.
- Alpha Hart Lewis, Beulah Ralph, Blue Ridge, Cedar Ridge, Derby Ridge, Fairview, Grant, Mill Creek, Parkade, Paxton Keeley, Russell Boulevard, Shepard Boulevard, and West Boulevard elementary schools 12:50 p.m.
- Center for Early Learning North's Full-day program will close at 1 p.m. and there will be no afternoon session