No one home during Jefferson City fire
JEFFERSON CITY - No one was home during a fire Thursday night in Jefferson City, according to the Jefferson City Fire Department.
Division Chief of Prevention Jason Turner said at 8:48 p.m. Thursday, a 911 call came in reporting heavy smoke coming from 2505 Plymouth Rock Rd.
JCFD said a family pet died as a result of the blaze.
Firefighters said they entered the house and determined no one was inside, so they concentrated on extenguishing the fire, which spread to the upper-loft floor of the single-and-a-half-story structure.
Turner said firefighters had the fire under control within 45 minutes but remained on the scene until after 11 p.m.
He said the fire left heavy fire damage to the kitchen and loft area.
Turner said the cause was believed to have started in the kitchen near the stove.
Eighteen firefighters were on scene. Other fire departments also responded to the fire.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: