Overheated Flue Sparks Columbia House Fire
COLUMBIA - An overheated flue sparked a fire in a home in the the 6000 block of Southwest Way. Boone County Fire Chief Scott Olsen said the call came in at 6:31 p.m. after a man smelled smoke in his living room. He looked up in the attic and saw smoke. It took Boone County Fire Fighters a few minutes to extinguish the flames. The ceiling of the room and walls surrounding the fireplace have been destroyed. No one was hurt.
Fire officials say since the flue got too hot, supporting boards also caught on fire. He also said the flue overheats gradually which can take up to several weeks to develop.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: