Police Dog Brutality Questioned

1 decade 1 year 9 months ago Thursday, February 23 2006 Feb 23, 2006 Thursday, February 23, 2006 5:32:06 PM UTC February 23, 2006 in News

Lake Ozark police say Daniel Curtis Johnson of Olean hit a parked car on Highway 54, then ran after an officer spotted him leave a gas station near the scene of the accident.

Johnson admits he was in the crash, but says he didn't see the police and was trying to get to a friend's house to make a phone call. But it's what happened after Johnson left the gas station that has both sides on the defensive.

"Per actual radio traffic, I believe, was that he ran off into the woods. Right then, I mean, that's part of Yasko's job is to find fleeing suspects," LOPD Sergeant Dale Heiser said.

"I never ran across the street into the woods, I didn't see any cops say anything to me," Daniel Curtis Johnson said.

Two different versions of what happened in the early morning hours of March 31 of this year. Both centering on Lake Ozark's only police dog, Yasko.

Heiser used the dog to track Johnson that night. During the track, Heiser fell, and hurt his knee.

He says he was holding Yasko back, keeping the dog from doing its job, so he let Yasko off his leash.

Target 8 spoke to two experienced K9 handlers. They say it's not unusual to let a dog off its leash during a track, especially in an area with rough terrain

"After I let Yasko go, he went into the woods, and I just had to follow him the best I could into the woods," Heiser said.

Heiser says Johnson had fair warning.

"When I get on scene, that's the first thing I do," Heiser said, "I get Yasko out of the car and I announce that a canine is coming into the woods, and if he doesn't stop, we're going to come find him. That night, I specifically recall announcing the presence of the canine three times before I let him go," Heiser said.

Johnson says he'd been walking for a while, so he sat down to rest in a nearby neighborhood. The next thing he remembers is seeing Yasko.

"I looked up, he came around the corner of the house, I looked up and saw him, next thing I know he's all over me," Johnson said.

Johnson remembers the struggle.

"Well, I was trying to get him off for a little while, then I thought if I just laid there and didn't move he wouldn't bite me, and I just tried to lay still and that's when he bit a hole in my shoulder," Johnson said, "I grabbed him by the neck and pinned him to the ground. I was yelling for the cops for a while, then I couldn't yell anymore so I just sat there and waited and finally they came out of the woods."

Johnson's injuries required a trip to the hospital and a surgical procedure. He had a gash on his chest and a chunk of flesh bitten out of his shoulder.

Heiser says Yasko was just doing his job.

"The best way to describe this is, if there's not any aggressive action, Yasko's not going to take any aggressive action," Heiser said.

Johnson says he was just trying to protect himself and that the dog was out of control.

"If he had gotten a hold of my neck, who knows what would've happened," Johnson said, "He took a chunk out of my shoulder down to the bone, I don't think police dogs are trained to do that."

There are no federal or Missouri state laws governing the use of police canines. Law enforcement rely on private organizations and kennels to certify handlers and dogs.

The LOPD says it took appropriate action, given the situation.

Heiser says Johnson could have avoided the situation if he'd listened to the police.

"It's a split-second decision that you have to be able to make, and based on what I had to go off of, I felt I had a felony property damage, and then a felony leaving the scene of an accident," Heiser said, "I believed I had two felonies at the time. And when people run, you know, they're running for a reason."

Police say evidence shows that reason. Johnson was on probation, and the accident itself was a violation of that probation.

Tests show Johnson was over the legal limit for alcohol as well. But Johnson's attorney says none of that matters.

"It doesn't matter the circumstances of the accident, the way the dog was unleashed and sent after Daniel is egregious, it's wrong, and unreasonable," Johnson's attorney Matthew Uhrig said.

The LOPD says it's in the clear because Johnson fled the scene and doesn't offer an apology.

"We take the responsibility in that we made sure he got the appropriate first aid treatment, so that's why we called the fire department and he was transported to lake regional for treatment," LOPD Chief Jon Hasker said.

"I don't want to see anybody get bit, I mean, that's not at all the situation. But if that's his job and that's the situation, he knows his job and he knows when to do it," Heiser said.

But Johnson's attorney says an apology alone wouldn't be enough.

"The way the dog attacked Daniel, his injuries are significant, he's entitled to something more than just a handshake and a we're sorry that happened," Uhrig said.

Because of his probation violation, Johnson is in prison for seven years.

But while he's behind bars, this incident has caught the attention of the FBI.

The agent Target 8 spoke with would not confirm the start date of the investigation, but says the report will soon go to the Civil Rights division of the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C.

If the department finds the LOPD violated Johnson's rights, the department or the U.S. Attorney's office could file charges.

COLUMBIA - Around seven police units and one forensic unit responded to Old Hawthorne Drive near Shallow River Drive a... More >>
6 hours ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 7:34:00 AM UTC December 11, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Nearly four years ago to the day, local business owner Linda Bonebrake was diagnosed with severe sepsis at... More >>
18 hours ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 6:47:00 PM UTC December 10, 2017 in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - Bird lovers got an up close look at birds typically seen in their backyards Sunday. It... More >>
20 hours ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 5:36:00 PM UTC December 10, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Museums around Columbia hosted docent led tours Sunday, spreading awareness about their exhibits and art collections. Docents are... More >>
21 hours ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:59:00 PM UTC December 10, 2017 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - 2017 will mark the 140th Christmas the historic Maplewood House has seen from its home in south Columbia.... More >>
21 hours ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:54:00 PM UTC December 10, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - MU Police Department, MU Greek Life, local businesses and residents made Operation Steal Back Christmas a huge success.... More >>
22 hours ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:31:00 PM UTC December 10, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — After more than 20 years of providing resources and activities for home schooling, a southwest Missouri... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 11:38:00 AM UTC December 10, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — Jordan Geist, a role player known most for his scrappy style, scored 28 points Saturday night... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:39:00 AM UTC December 10, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA- Alyssa Schell joined the University of Missouri Police Department as a dispatcher in February, excited to be living out... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:28:00 AM UTC December 10, 2017 in News
CENTRALIA - A husband, wife and visiting grandchildren escaped a Saturday night house fire in Centralia, fire officials said. ... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 1:36:00 AM UTC December 10, 2017 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Police in Kansas City, Missouri, say an 8-year-old boy has died after being hit by a... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 09 2017 Dec 9, 2017 Saturday, December 09, 2017 11:35:21 PM UTC December 09, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Students, staff and community members volunteered at University Village this morning to create a community garden, with the... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 09 2017 Dec 9, 2017 Saturday, December 09, 2017 9:41:00 PM UTC December 09, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia provides plenty of Christmas experiences for families to enjoy, but Columbia Access Television (CAT) offered a unique... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 09 2017 Dec 9, 2017 Saturday, December 09, 2017 3:38:00 PM UTC December 09, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - When Hurricane Harvey struck Texas, the Patrick family watched news reports about the damage from their home... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 09 2017 Dec 9, 2017 Saturday, December 09, 2017 3:25:00 PM UTC December 09, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - With two years added to his contract, Mizzou football head coach Barry Odom will remain with the Tigers... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 09 2017 Dec 9, 2017 Saturday, December 09, 2017 3:15:00 PM UTC December 09, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — The first-degree murder trial of a 28-year-old Wisconsin man charged in the stabbing death of his Missouri... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 09 2017 Dec 9, 2017 Saturday, December 09, 2017 3:06:46 PM UTC December 09, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA- As winter approaches, cold temperatures are making their way back to Columbia, with lows this week consistently below freezing.... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 09 2017 Dec 9, 2017 Saturday, December 09, 2017 2:37:00 PM UTC December 09, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – Treats Unleashed hosted “Milk and Cookies” Saturday to benefit Everything Greyt, a greyhound rescue organization. Dogs and... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 09 2017 Dec 9, 2017 Saturday, December 09, 2017 2:28:00 PM UTC December 09, 2017 in News

7:00a