Police Dog Brutality Questioned

1 decade 2 years 2 months ago Thursday, February 23 2006 Feb 23, 2006 Thursday, February 23, 2006 5:32:06 PM CST February 23, 2006 in News

Lake Ozark police say Daniel Curtis Johnson of Olean hit a parked car on Highway 54, then ran after an officer spotted him leave a gas station near the scene of the accident.

Johnson admits he was in the crash, but says he didn't see the police and was trying to get to a friend's house to make a phone call. But it's what happened after Johnson left the gas station that has both sides on the defensive.

"Per actual radio traffic, I believe, was that he ran off into the woods. Right then, I mean, that's part of Yasko's job is to find fleeing suspects," LOPD Sergeant Dale Heiser said.

"I never ran across the street into the woods, I didn't see any cops say anything to me," Daniel Curtis Johnson said.

Two different versions of what happened in the early morning hours of March 31 of this year. Both centering on Lake Ozark's only police dog, Yasko.

Heiser used the dog to track Johnson that night. During the track, Heiser fell, and hurt his knee.

He says he was holding Yasko back, keeping the dog from doing its job, so he let Yasko off his leash.

Target 8 spoke to two experienced K9 handlers. They say it's not unusual to let a dog off its leash during a track, especially in an area with rough terrain

"After I let Yasko go, he went into the woods, and I just had to follow him the best I could into the woods," Heiser said.

Heiser says Johnson had fair warning.

"When I get on scene, that's the first thing I do," Heiser said, "I get Yasko out of the car and I announce that a canine is coming into the woods, and if he doesn't stop, we're going to come find him. That night, I specifically recall announcing the presence of the canine three times before I let him go," Heiser said.

Johnson says he'd been walking for a while, so he sat down to rest in a nearby neighborhood. The next thing he remembers is seeing Yasko.

"I looked up, he came around the corner of the house, I looked up and saw him, next thing I know he's all over me," Johnson said.

Johnson remembers the struggle.

"Well, I was trying to get him off for a little while, then I thought if I just laid there and didn't move he wouldn't bite me, and I just tried to lay still and that's when he bit a hole in my shoulder," Johnson said, "I grabbed him by the neck and pinned him to the ground. I was yelling for the cops for a while, then I couldn't yell anymore so I just sat there and waited and finally they came out of the woods."

Johnson's injuries required a trip to the hospital and a surgical procedure. He had a gash on his chest and a chunk of flesh bitten out of his shoulder.

Heiser says Yasko was just doing his job.

"The best way to describe this is, if there's not any aggressive action, Yasko's not going to take any aggressive action," Heiser said.

Johnson says he was just trying to protect himself and that the dog was out of control.

"If he had gotten a hold of my neck, who knows what would've happened," Johnson said, "He took a chunk out of my shoulder down to the bone, I don't think police dogs are trained to do that."

There are no federal or Missouri state laws governing the use of police canines. Law enforcement rely on private organizations and kennels to certify handlers and dogs.

The LOPD says it took appropriate action, given the situation.

Heiser says Johnson could have avoided the situation if he'd listened to the police.

"It's a split-second decision that you have to be able to make, and based on what I had to go off of, I felt I had a felony property damage, and then a felony leaving the scene of an accident," Heiser said, "I believed I had two felonies at the time. And when people run, you know, they're running for a reason."

Police say evidence shows that reason. Johnson was on probation, and the accident itself was a violation of that probation.

Tests show Johnson was over the legal limit for alcohol as well. But Johnson's attorney says none of that matters.

"It doesn't matter the circumstances of the accident, the way the dog was unleashed and sent after Daniel is egregious, it's wrong, and unreasonable," Johnson's attorney Matthew Uhrig said.

The LOPD says it's in the clear because Johnson fled the scene and doesn't offer an apology.

"We take the responsibility in that we made sure he got the appropriate first aid treatment, so that's why we called the fire department and he was transported to lake regional for treatment," LOPD Chief Jon Hasker said.

"I don't want to see anybody get bit, I mean, that's not at all the situation. But if that's his job and that's the situation, he knows his job and he knows when to do it," Heiser said.

But Johnson's attorney says an apology alone wouldn't be enough.

"The way the dog attacked Daniel, his injuries are significant, he's entitled to something more than just a handshake and a we're sorry that happened," Uhrig said.

Because of his probation violation, Johnson is in prison for seven years.

But while he's behind bars, this incident has caught the attention of the FBI.

The agent Target 8 spoke with would not confirm the start date of the investigation, but says the report will soon go to the Civil Rights division of the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C.

If the department finds the LOPD violated Johnson's rights, the department or the U.S. Attorney's office could file charges.

JEFFERSON CITY - Potentially more than one thousand Missourians could lose their hunting, fishing and trapping licenses after a Department... More >>
1 hour ago Thursday, May 24 2018 May 24, 2018 Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:27:00 AM CDT May 24, 2018 in News
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge ruled Wednesday that President Donald Trump is violating the First Amendment when he... More >>
8 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:10:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in Continuous News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A federal district court in St. Louis has ruled that the Missouri prison system must... More >>
9 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:48:22 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
MID-MISSOURI - If you look at the forecast you can easily tell that summer is here early. Don't forget that... More >>
9 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:43:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in Weather
JEFFERSON CITY - A new report by the Missouri Chamber of Commerce identifies challenges in the Missouri workforce. The... More >>
9 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:41:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
(CNN) - NFL players must stand during the National Anthem this season, team owners decided Wednesday, a reaction to fierce... More >>
9 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:36:38 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
COLE COUNTY - Cole County deputies say a man accused of having pipe bombs was cooperative when they asked to... More >>
11 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:54:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
HALLSVILLE - The NRA Bianchi Cup happens every year in Missouri, however this year, embattled Gov. Eric Greitens made an... More >>
11 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:40:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department wants feedback from residents on its community policing initiative. A meeting Wednesday gave people... More >>
12 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:25:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The House Special Investigative Committee continued reading the transcript of the testimony of the woman involved in... More >>
12 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:12:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- A revision to Missouri's amateur sports tax credit program could bring more sporting events to Mid-Missouri. The... More >>
12 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:04:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
CALIFORNIA - The Moniteau County prosecutor filed criminal charges against the former California police chief Wednesday. Former police chief... More >>
13 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:15:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - A top official at Missouri's Department of Public Safety had a potential conflict of interest when... More >>
13 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:11:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
LAKE OZARK- Businesses in mid-Missouri face a steep choice when it comes to having live entertainment -- lose the music... More >>
13 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 1:53:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - A Missouri judge is weighing whether a secretive nonprofit group that supports Gov. Eric Greitens' agenda... More >>
14 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 1:08:00 PM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
COLE COUNTY - The Cole County Prosecutor's Office filed charges Wednesday against a man suspected of having pipe bombs and... More >>
17 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:30:00 AM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - Missouri Lt. Gov. Mike Parson says he will be ready to step up if Gov. Eric... More >>
17 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:48:00 AM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA- The city of Columbia will hold the first of seven community policing meetings Wednesday evening. Each meeting is set... More >>
19 hours ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:34:00 AM CDT May 23, 2018 in News