News

Police: Sewer Gas May Have Killed KC Woman

Posted: Mar 8, 2013 11:13 AM by Associated Press

Rating: 0.0 (0 votes)

KANSAS CITY - Kansas City police say a 44-year-old woman may have died from sewer gas asphyxiation.

The woman, Bernice A. Weaver, was found unconscious Wednesday in front of the kitchen sink in a friend's home. The plumbing underneath the sink had been disassembled.

Police reports said the house smelled strongly of sewer gas when officers arrived.

Weaver was taken to a hospital, where she was declared dead.

The Kansas City Star reports a plumber told the homeowner that the removal of the trap under the kitchen sink left an open sewer line into the house. The plumber also detected sewer gas coming from a basement floor drain.

The Jackson County Medical Examiner's office has not officially determined the cause of death.

KOMU First Alert Weather

Most Popular