Prosecutor clears two St. Louis officers in fatal shooting
ST. LOUIS (AP) — St. Louis' prosecutor says she won't be charging two officers in the fatal shooting of a black 18-year-old last year, concluding that no evidence disproves police claims of self-defense.
Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce announced her findings Thursday in the August 2015 death of Mansur Ball-Bey. She called the case "a tragedy in every aspect of the word."
St. Louis' police chief says he's confident the city prosecutor's decision not to charge two officers in last year's shooting death of a black 18-year-old was the result of a "comprehensive review."
Police Chief Sam Dotson says his department plans its own review over possible tactical lessons that could be learned from Mansur Ball-Bey's August 2015 death.
Joyce says the officers and a witness reported that an armed Ball-Bey ran from a home during a raid and was shot after pointing his gun toward an officer. Joyce says Ball-Bey's loaded gun was found at the scene.
An attorney for Ball-Bey's family has questioned the police account that Ball-Bey was armed.
Ball-Bey's death came a little more than a year after the fatal police shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown in nearby Ferguson, Missouri.
(Editor's note: KOMU.com has updated this story to include statements from St. Louis Police.)
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: