Providence Inn owner pleads guilty to operating without license
COLUMBIA - The owner of a motel where a 16-year-old girl overdosed and died pleaded guilty Wednesday to operating a motel without a license.
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services determined Oct. 1, 2013 that Keith Owens, owner of the Providence Inn and Suites, was operating the motel without a license.
The motel closed May 1, after 16-year-old Morgan Myers was found dead in a guest room on April 3.
An inspection by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services on May 2 found 16 different violations at the motel.
The specific violations include:
- Sewage and wastewater were not operating satisfactorily
- Walls, floors, and ceilings were not in good shape
- There were not proper housekeeping practices in place
- Towels and bed linens were not clean
- Mattresses and box springs were not clean
- There was evidence of rodents and insects
- Garbages were not properly maintained
- The landscaping was not controlled
- Bathrooms were not sanitary
- There were not proper hygienic practices in place
- The building was not maintained to assure safe conditions
- The stairs and ramps were not in good shape
- The plumbing/mechanical systems were not passable
- The ventilation, plumbing, and restrooms were not passable
- Heating and cooling operating systems were not passable
- The motel did not have proper safety, thermo control and electrical switches for heat and air units
Owens has to pay a $250 fine for the violation.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: