COLUMBIA - Just in time for local college students heading home for the holidays, the Red Cross has released tips for how to stay safe during winter storms, both at home and on the road.
The Red Cross suggests keeping the following items on hand:
- 3-day supply of water (enough for one gallon per person per day)
- Non-perishable food like crackers or protein bars
- A complete first aid kit
- A week's supply of medication and other medical supplies
- Supplies for small children and pets
- a flashlight, weather radio, and extra batteries
For the car, KOMU 8 News suggests keeping an emergency kit stocked with these items:
- Non-perishable food
- Instant hand warmers
- Extra jacket
- Extra pair of gloves or mittens
The Red Cross also suggests listening for storm information from the National Weather Service, bringing pets inside, and staying inside. It also says if going outside is a must, you should wear warm, loose-fitting layers of clothing. As a last note, it says to check up on neighbors to make sure they're ok.
For more information and other tips, visit redcross.org/wintersafety.