Report: Apartment complex tells students it will buy out dorm contracts
COLUMBIA – The Rise on 9th apartment complex refused to comment Monday on reports that it offered to pay to cancel on-campus housing contracts for incoming freshmen at MU.
A report from the Columbia Missourian referenced a Facebook post from the student apartment's page that said, "A big thing a lot of people don't know is that WE WILL PAY TO BREAK YOUR DORM CONTRACT. That's right...living in the dorms is not a requirement."
When asked about the now-deleted post, Rise on 9th said it’s not accepting interviews.
According to MU Residential Life, it could cost up to $325 per resident to cancel on-campus housing contracts.
For written requests received for contracts submitted after December 31, 2016:
- by May 1, 2017, has no cancellation fee
- May 2 - 31, 2017, has a $125 cancellation fee
- June 1 - July 15, 2017, has a $225 cancellation fee
- July 16 - Aug. 15, 2017, has a $325 cancellation fee
- Aug. 16 - 22, 2017, has a $325 cancellation fee plus daily room rate, board and social fee charges through the official check-out or cancellation date
- Aug. 22, 2017, and after has daily room, board, and social charges plus 40 percent of the remaining contracted charges for the rest of the academic year.
MU policy makes it mandatory for incoming freshman to stay on campus.
MU News Bureau director Christian Basi said, “That policy won’t change. We do have a few exceptions to that policy”
Some of the exceptions, Basi said, are students who are living in Greek housing, older than 20, living with a parent in Boone County or taking less than six credit hours.
For students who refuse to live in residence halls and do not fall into any of the exception categories, Basi said the university would meet with the student to discuss the benefits of living in residence halls.
Basi said he would not discuss the report about the Rise on 9th Facebook post.
He said the university's policies on student housing will be on the agenda next week when the Board of Curators meets.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: