Representatives Suggest Funding Cuts for Public Radio and TV
WARRENSBURG - In efforts to lower the country's deficit, some members of the U.S. House of Representatives are suggesting national cuts for public television and radio. KMOS-TV in Warrensburg, which also serves as the PBS station for Columbia and Jefferson City, could lose up to 25 percent of its annual funding (about $400,000) received from Corporate Public Broadcasting (CPB). If the federal cuts are made, it could mean that KMOS would drop it's PBS programming.
"Losing that much of your budget from year to year could be pretty awesome, awesomely bad," said Mark Pearce, Coordinator of KMOS Corporate and Community Support. "When we look at what we have to cut, the only thing even close to approximating the loss is to cut our PBS programming."
KBIA General Manager Mike Dunn said rural stations, like those in central Missouri, could see severe reductions in funding or could go off the air as a result of the decision. 75 percent of CPB funding goes toward television stations and the other 25 percent goes to radio stations. CPB distributes funds to PBS and NPR affiliates around the country.
Discussions about the budget cuts will continue in Washington. The Senate will hear the bill if the House of Representatives approves it. Then it's sent to the president for final consideration.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: