Rock Bridge Senior Headed to Faurot Field

4 years 5 months 13 minutes ago Sunday, April 21 2013 Apr 21, 2013 Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:10:00 PM CDT April 21, 2013 in Sports
By: Megan Rice

COLUMBIA- Six-foot and 315-pound A.J. Logan is one of the biggest Missouri Football signee's this year. A.J. Logan is a a former Rock Bridge Defensive Lineman and a future Freshman for the Missouri Tiger football team.

"Yeah, I always knew I wanted to go to Mizzou," Logan said. "There was no doubt in my mind when I was thinking about getting big scholarships and stuff. I was like: 'if Mizzou offers I am going to Mizzou.'"

His future may seem clear now but his path to get there wasn't. Logan's father was not around growing up and his single mother was in and out of jail and drug rehab, which lead A.J. to look up to his older brother, Blake.

"He didn't always get into the right stuff and I was kind of going down that path with him cause I wanted to be like him," Logan said.

In 2010, Blake was sentenced to 24-years for second-degree murder.

"I mean it hurt a lot to see him go away cause that was my dad pretty much," Logan said.

A.J. says he will never forget the day Blake got sentenced. Yet, he was still followed that same path, until a different kind of family changed his direction.

"I think it was sophomore year toward second semester Jane Piester and Coach Ofodile pulled me into the office cause I was skipping practices, I was going to classes but wasn't doing the work," Logan said. "I was going down the wrong path not doing the the right things and he pulled me in and was like: 'you have so much potential you don't even realize it, you haven't even scratched the surface of what you can do. What you can be.'"

"You know all these great qualities he has that are really kind of going to waste because he is not taking the right steps," Ofodile said.

"I changed right there I immediately made a change. I was like: 'I don't need to keep going down this path, it's not doing anything but hurting me so I might as well do something positive for myself and for others," Logan said.

Logan's improved maturity helped him to 2 All-State seasons, a Divison 1 scholarship with Missouri and gave him traits needed for a different part of his life--fatherhood.

"He is the reason that made it happen, Logan said. "It is unexplainable the motivation a child gives you to do better. I felt like he was a huge part of that so I wanted to hold my son and let him be part of that."

"You know he does a great job," Ofodile said. "You can tell he is a proud dad. He was right there with him on signing day so it's pretty exciting to see."

Logan wants to make sure his son, Aven, has a different up-bringing than he did.

"To me it was just something, a model not to do," Logan said. "It just showed me what not to do. To be able to be there for your children and make sure they have everything you didn't have--that's what every parent's goal should be."

Although Logan realizes with being a college Freshman, football player and father, things are bound to get a little noisy.

"I have to go to Mizzou, put in my work in, do my shool work, then be a father cause I know in the long run that it all will pay off for him in the end," Logan said. "Hopefully, my goal is to make it to the NFL. That has always been the goal. I am going to strive for that but doesn't happen I am going to have a fall-back career with my degree."

Coach Ofodile, a former NFL player and MU Tight End feels Logan is a guy that can play on Sundays, but for now he feels Logan is set for Saturdays in the South.

"Really that is what makes the South special period, is big people that can move and he is one of those guys," Ofodile said. "I think he is going to fit in really nicely."

Logan said he feels honored that his family can join the Tigers.

"Wow man... I don't really know if I can put it into words," Logan said. "It's a great feeling. It means a lot... it means a lot to me."

From one Providence stadium to the next, A.J. Logan is keeping his eyes on the future as a football player and a father.

COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri has received a grant from the American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation to... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:55:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Kansas City police have arrested a person of interest in the shooting death of an off-duty... More >>
COLUMBIA - Funding for the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is set to end on Sept. 30. The program... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:33:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Hasbro and Missouri UnitedHealthcare developed a wristband that can help reduce child obesity while getting kids up... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:32:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — St. Louis police could be wearing body cameras within 60 to 90 days. After a... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:02:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
OSAGE BEACH - A firefighter was hospitalized with heat exhaustion after responding to a condo building fire Wednesday at 9:54... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:53:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
ASHLAND - The Southern Boone School Board is taking a new approach on unpaid school lunches. Parents not paying... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:52:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - David Robinson is one of the hundreds of people who will lose help paying his utilities, if a... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:50:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
FULTON - Buying food locally can save gas and money and get the food to the table faster. A family... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:26:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A Missouri couple who accidentally dropped a $3,000 engagement ring into a pond has had a... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:16:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Latest on protests in St. Louis over a judge's acquittal of a former white police... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:02:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Phi Delta Theta fraternity at Washington University in St. Louis is suspended while police investigate... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:32:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Authorities say a Missouri man molested an 11-year-old girl he met using the MeetMe dating app. ... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:14:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Personal and corporate income taxes currently account for about 75 percent of Missouri's revenue. The state's... More >>
8 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:02:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- Pioneer Trail Elementary School music teacher Andrew Berhorst acts as a crossing guard for the school in the... More >>
8 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:33:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - CrimeStoppers is offering a $500 reward for information leading to an arrest for a robbery that happened... More >>
8 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:10:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – Colleges and universities are probably discriminating against minority students in their enforcement of Title IX policies and other... More >>
9 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:42:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - A Columbia man is being held on suspicion of sodomizing two women last weekend at a residence on... More >>
9 hours ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:20:00 PM CDT September 20, 2017 in News

Late Night with Seth Meyers