Rock Bridge Senior Headed to Faurot Field

4 years 1 day 15 hours ago April 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013 Sunday, April 21 2013 Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:10:00 PM CDT in Sports
By: Megan Rice

COLUMBIA- Six-foot and 315-pound A.J. Logan is one of the biggest Missouri Football signee's this year. A.J. Logan is a a former Rock Bridge Defensive Lineman and a future Freshman for the Missouri Tiger football team.

"Yeah, I always knew I wanted to go to Mizzou," Logan said. "There was no doubt in my mind when I was thinking about getting big scholarships and stuff. I was like: 'if Mizzou offers I am going to Mizzou.'"

His future may seem clear now but his path to get there wasn't. Logan's father was not around growing up and his single mother was in and out of jail and drug rehab, which lead A.J. to look up to his older brother, Blake.

"He didn't always get into the right stuff and I was kind of going down that path with him cause I wanted to be like him," Logan said.

In 2010, Blake was sentenced to 24-years for second-degree murder.

"I mean it hurt a lot to see him go away cause that was my dad pretty much," Logan said.

A.J. says he will never forget the day Blake got sentenced. Yet, he was still followed that same path, until a different kind of family changed his direction.

"I think it was sophomore year toward second semester Jane Piester and Coach Ofodile pulled me into the office cause I was skipping practices, I was going to classes but wasn't doing the work," Logan said. "I was going down the wrong path not doing the the right things and he pulled me in and was like: 'you have so much potential you don't even realize it, you haven't even scratched the surface of what you can do. What you can be.'"

"You know all these great qualities he has that are really kind of going to waste because he is not taking the right steps," Ofodile said.

"I changed right there I immediately made a change. I was like: 'I don't need to keep going down this path, it's not doing anything but hurting me so I might as well do something positive for myself and for others," Logan said.

Logan's improved maturity helped him to 2 All-State seasons, a Divison 1 scholarship with Missouri and gave him traits needed for a different part of his life--fatherhood.

"He is the reason that made it happen, Logan said. "It is unexplainable the motivation a child gives you to do better. I felt like he was a huge part of that so I wanted to hold my son and let him be part of that."

"You know he does a great job," Ofodile said. "You can tell he is a proud dad. He was right there with him on signing day so it's pretty exciting to see."

Logan wants to make sure his son, Aven, has a different up-bringing than he did.

"To me it was just something, a model not to do," Logan said. "It just showed me what not to do. To be able to be there for your children and make sure they have everything you didn't have--that's what every parent's goal should be."

Although Logan realizes with being a college Freshman, football player and father, things are bound to get a little noisy.

"I have to go to Mizzou, put in my work in, do my shool work, then be a father cause I know in the long run that it all will pay off for him in the end," Logan said. "Hopefully, my goal is to make it to the NFL. That has always been the goal. I am going to strive for that but doesn't happen I am going to have a fall-back career with my degree."

Coach Ofodile, a former NFL player and MU Tight End feels Logan is a guy that can play on Sundays, but for now he feels Logan is set for Saturdays in the South.

"Really that is what makes the South special period, is big people that can move and he is one of those guys," Ofodile said. "I think he is going to fit in really nicely."

Logan said he feels honored that his family can join the Tigers.

"Wow man... I don't really know if I can put it into words," Logan said. "It's a great feeling. It means a lot... it means a lot to me."

From one Providence stadium to the next, A.J. Logan is keeping his eyes on the future as a football player and a father.

COLUMBIA — Party For A Purpose mixed the socialization of a party with conversation on mental health and suicide prevention.... More >>
11 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:36:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — The Islamic School of Columbia-Missouri invited the community to help them promote international togetherness on Saturday. The school... More >>
11 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:05:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Future veterinary students flocked to MU campus Saturday to learn about what the College of Veterinary Medicine has... More >>
15 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:22:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — A team of veterinary oncologists at the MU Veterinary Health Center is looking for dogs with cancer to... More >>
16 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:35:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Saturday is Earth Day and the City of Columbia has a series of recommendations on how to save... More >>
16 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:32:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Three thousand yellow rubber ducks filled the grounds of Columbia’s Central Missouri Humane Society to raise money... More >>
18 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:30:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY — With House Bill 130 set to become law, Gov. Eric Greitens will smooth potholes to expansion for... More >>
20 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 2:58:00 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Hundreds gathered in a downtown Kansas City, Missouri, park on Earth Day in support of calls... More >>
20 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 2:06:00 PM CDT in News
FULTON — The Ryan's Case for Smiles mid-Missouri chapter got together on Saturday at First Presbyterian Church in Fulton to... More >>
21 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:26:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Community members came together Saturday in honor of Child Abuse and Neglect Awareness Month, to draw attention to... More >>
22 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:33:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — During his first 100 days in office, Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens has trained with firefighters and... More >>
23 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:58:00 AM CDT in News
BOONVILLE — Riders have anticipated the Round-up Showcase Horse Show all year as a chance to present their abilities and... More >>
23 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:39:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — The Columbia Fire Department responded to reports of a structure fire in the 3300 block of Albany Court... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:48:00 AM CDT in News
MARIES COUNTY — The Maries County Sheriff's office has requested that charges be filed against a Cherryville man following a... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 5:13:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Protesters are planning demonstrations in more than 500 cities worldwide on Saturday to advocate for sound science policy,... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:03:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Hundreds of people gathered in Jesse Auditorium Friday to listen to authors speak at the second annual Unbound... More >>
1 day ago April 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017 Friday, April 21 2017 Friday, April 21, 2017 8:18:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Students, parents and community members filed into the MizzouRec Friday night to participate in Relay for Life of... More >>
1 day ago April 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017 Friday, April 21 2017 Friday, April 21, 2017 8:00:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — The University of Missouri became one of more than 30 U.S. institutions to host a DataFest competition since... More >>
1 day ago April 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017 Friday, April 21 2017 Friday, April 21, 2017 7:59:00 PM CDT in News

10:30a
11:30a
Paid Program

Little Big Shots
Chicago Justice
Shades of Blue
Stand by Me
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.