Rock Bridge Senior Headed to Faurot Field

3 years 2 months 6 days ago April 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013 Sunday, April 21 2013 Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:10:00 PM CDT in Sports
By: Megan Rice

COLUMBIA- Six-foot and 315-pound A.J. Logan is one of the biggest Missouri Football signee's this year. A.J. Logan is a a former Rock Bridge Defensive Lineman and a future Freshman for the Missouri Tiger football team.

"Yeah, I always knew I wanted to go to Mizzou," Logan said. "There was no doubt in my mind when I was thinking about getting big scholarships and stuff. I was like: 'if Mizzou offers I am going to Mizzou.'"

His future may seem clear now but his path to get there wasn't. Logan's father was not around growing up and his single mother was in and out of jail and drug rehab, which lead A.J. to look up to his older brother, Blake.

"He didn't always get into the right stuff and I was kind of going down that path with him cause I wanted to be like him," Logan said.

In 2010, Blake was sentenced to 24-years for second-degree murder.

"I mean it hurt a lot to see him go away cause that was my dad pretty much," Logan said.

A.J. says he will never forget the day Blake got sentenced. Yet, he was still followed that same path, until a different kind of family changed his direction.

"I think it was sophomore year toward second semester Jane Piester and Coach Ofodile pulled me into the office cause I was skipping practices, I was going to classes but wasn't doing the work," Logan said. "I was going down the wrong path not doing the the right things and he pulled me in and was like: 'you have so much potential you don't even realize it, you haven't even scratched the surface of what you can do. What you can be.'"

"You know all these great qualities he has that are really kind of going to waste because he is not taking the right steps," Ofodile said.

"I changed right there I immediately made a change. I was like: 'I don't need to keep going down this path, it's not doing anything but hurting me so I might as well do something positive for myself and for others," Logan said.

Logan's improved maturity helped him to 2 All-State seasons, a Divison 1 scholarship with Missouri and gave him traits needed for a different part of his life--fatherhood.

"He is the reason that made it happen, Logan said. "It is unexplainable the motivation a child gives you to do better. I felt like he was a huge part of that so I wanted to hold my son and let him be part of that."

"You know he does a great job," Ofodile said. "You can tell he is a proud dad. He was right there with him on signing day so it's pretty exciting to see."

Logan wants to make sure his son, Aven, has a different up-bringing than he did.

"To me it was just something, a model not to do," Logan said. "It just showed me what not to do. To be able to be there for your children and make sure they have everything you didn't have--that's what every parent's goal should be."

Although Logan realizes with being a college Freshman, football player and father, things are bound to get a little noisy.

"I have to go to Mizzou, put in my work in, do my shool work, then be a father cause I know in the long run that it all will pay off for him in the end," Logan said. "Hopefully, my goal is to make it to the NFL. That has always been the goal. I am going to strive for that but doesn't happen I am going to have a fall-back career with my degree."

Coach Ofodile, a former NFL player and MU Tight End feels Logan is a guy that can play on Sundays, but for now he feels Logan is set for Saturdays in the South.

"Really that is what makes the South special period, is big people that can move and he is one of those guys," Ofodile said. "I think he is going to fit in really nicely."

Logan said he feels honored that his family can join the Tigers.

"Wow man... I don't really know if I can put it into words," Logan said. "It's a great feeling. It means a lot... it means a lot to me."

From one Providence stadium to the next, A.J. Logan is keeping his eyes on the future as a football player and a father.

COLUMBIA - The Supreme Court of the Untied States voted against Texas’s anti-abortion laws, Monday morning. A five to three... More >>
6 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 10:17:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Better Business Bureau warns a series of real estate seminars might not be what they claim. ... More >>
9 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 7:27:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Department of Transportation was sliding the third new bridge in place on I-70 Monday at Business... More >>
11 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 5:40:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – The first principal, president and key founding figure of Father Tolton Regional Catholic High School will resign this... More >>
11 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 5:21:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Gov. Jay Nixon vetoed legislation Monday that would have allowed Missourians to carry a concealed fire arm... More >>
12 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 3:51:00 PM CDT in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — The head of a Missouri-based hotel chain that has 35 properties in 16 states says her company... More >>
13 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 3:37:18 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Dry weather conditions are creating dangerous conditions for setting off fireworks around the Fourth of July holiday. ... More >>
13 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 3:21:00 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Authorities say one of the two people who died when a car ran off an interstate... More >>
13 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 2:46:45 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - You would think I might be making this one up, but I’m not. Today is National Sunglasses Day.... More >>
14 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 2:34:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A U.S. Supreme Court ruling is calling into question whether some Missouri abortion regulations will stand.... More >>
14 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 1:57:07 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A 25-year-old man is accused of fatally shooting four of his family members then burning their... More >>
15 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 1:16:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - The Republican who ushered a sweeping gun rights bill through the House says he hopes lawmakers... More >>
15 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 1:00:27 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis branch of Death Cafe, a group that gathers regularly to discuss death and... More >>
15 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 12:50:10 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A 49-year-old man has been charged with stabbing his sister to death after an argument about... More >>
16 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 12:38:34 PM CDT in News
ST. JOSEPH (AP) — Authorities have released the name of a St. Joseph homicide victim. The St. Joseph News-Press... More >>
16 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 12:32:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Two men are charged with assault motivated by discrimination for allegedly throwing eggs and shouting racial... More >>
16 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 12:20:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department announced Monday in a news release 24-year-old Quenten Maurice Hurt and 23-year-old Darryl Eugene... More >>
17 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 11:22:00 AM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Missouri State Highway Patrol released the results Monday of two sobriety checkpoints conducted over the weekend.... More >>
18 hours ago June 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016 Monday, June 27 2016 Monday, June 27, 2016 10:36:00 AM CDT in News

4:30a