Rock Bridge Senior Headed to Faurot Field

3 years 1 week 1 day ago April 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013 Sunday, April 21 2013 Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:10:00 PM CDT in Sports
By: Megan Rice

COLUMBIA- Six-foot and 315-pound A.J. Logan is one of the biggest Missouri Football signee's this year. A.J. Logan is a a former Rock Bridge Defensive Lineman and a future Freshman for the Missouri Tiger football team.

"Yeah, I always knew I wanted to go to Mizzou," Logan said. "There was no doubt in my mind when I was thinking about getting big scholarships and stuff. I was like: 'if Mizzou offers I am going to Mizzou.'"

His future may seem clear now but his path to get there wasn't. Logan's father was not around growing up and his single mother was in and out of jail and drug rehab, which lead A.J. to look up to his older brother, Blake.

"He didn't always get into the right stuff and I was kind of going down that path with him cause I wanted to be like him," Logan said.

In 2010, Blake was sentenced to 24-years for second-degree murder.

"I mean it hurt a lot to see him go away cause that was my dad pretty much," Logan said.

A.J. says he will never forget the day Blake got sentenced. Yet, he was still followed that same path, until a different kind of family changed his direction.

"I think it was sophomore year toward second semester Jane Piester and Coach Ofodile pulled me into the office cause I was skipping practices, I was going to classes but wasn't doing the work," Logan said. "I was going down the wrong path not doing the the right things and he pulled me in and was like: 'you have so much potential you don't even realize it, you haven't even scratched the surface of what you can do. What you can be.'"

"You know all these great qualities he has that are really kind of going to waste because he is not taking the right steps," Ofodile said.

"I changed right there I immediately made a change. I was like: 'I don't need to keep going down this path, it's not doing anything but hurting me so I might as well do something positive for myself and for others," Logan said.

Logan's improved maturity helped him to 2 All-State seasons, a Divison 1 scholarship with Missouri and gave him traits needed for a different part of his life--fatherhood.

"He is the reason that made it happen, Logan said. "It is unexplainable the motivation a child gives you to do better. I felt like he was a huge part of that so I wanted to hold my son and let him be part of that."

"You know he does a great job," Ofodile said. "You can tell he is a proud dad. He was right there with him on signing day so it's pretty exciting to see."

Logan wants to make sure his son, Aven, has a different up-bringing than he did.

"To me it was just something, a model not to do," Logan said. "It just showed me what not to do. To be able to be there for your children and make sure they have everything you didn't have--that's what every parent's goal should be."

Although Logan realizes with being a college Freshman, football player and father, things are bound to get a little noisy.

"I have to go to Mizzou, put in my work in, do my shool work, then be a father cause I know in the long run that it all will pay off for him in the end," Logan said. "Hopefully, my goal is to make it to the NFL. That has always been the goal. I am going to strive for that but doesn't happen I am going to have a fall-back career with my degree."

Coach Ofodile, a former NFL player and MU Tight End feels Logan is a guy that can play on Sundays, but for now he feels Logan is set for Saturdays in the South.

"Really that is what makes the South special period, is big people that can move and he is one of those guys," Ofodile said. "I think he is going to fit in really nicely."

Logan said he feels honored that his family can join the Tigers.

"Wow man... I don't really know if I can put it into words," Logan said. "It's a great feeling. It means a lot... it means a lot to me."

From one Providence stadium to the next, A.J. Logan is keeping his eyes on the future as a football player and a father.

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A man accused of shooting at several people in a St. Louis park, including a park... More >>
6 minutes ago April 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016 Friday, April 29 2016 Friday, April 29, 2016 2:34:01 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA (AP) — A federal judge for now is leaving in place a preliminary injunction barring the state from revoking... More >>
8 minutes ago April 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016 Friday, April 29 2016 Friday, April 29, 2016 2:31:49 PM CDT in News
AFFTON — Gov. Jay Nixon announced a new anti-hunger initiative during a visit to Rogers Middle School on Friday. ... More >>
2 hours ago April 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016 Friday, April 29 2016 Friday, April 29, 2016 11:58:00 AM CDT in News
FULTON — A Fulton couple charged in Tuesday's double homicide in Callaway County had their first court appearance Friday. ... More >>
3 hours ago April 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016 Friday, April 29 2016 Friday, April 29, 2016 11:39:00 AM CDT in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Missouri prosecutors say a man imprisoned for a 2013 strangling had raped a woman days before the... More >>
3 hours ago April 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016 Friday, April 29 2016 Friday, April 29, 2016 10:47:35 AM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY — Jefferson City Public Schools named Nikki Carel 2016 Eisinger Teacher of the Year on Thursday. Carel... More >>
4 hours ago April 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016 Friday, April 29 2016 Friday, April 29, 2016 10:15:00 AM CDT in News
ST. CHARLES (AP) — A former St. Charles County jail guard accused last year of having sex with an inmate... More >>
5 hours ago April 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016 Friday, April 29 2016 Friday, April 29, 2016 9:19:17 AM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Drug Enforcement Administration says 240 gangs are roaming the streets of the St. Louis area,... More >>
5 hours ago April 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016 Friday, April 29 2016 Friday, April 29, 2016 9:15:34 AM CDT in News
STOVER (AP) — A former Missouri pastor accused of having sex with a 16-year-old girl in 2005 has been sentenced... More >>
5 hours ago April 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016 Friday, April 29 2016 Friday, April 29, 2016 9:10:09 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - More than half of Missouri’s population lives within thirty miles of Interstate 70, yet the interstate connecting St.... More >>
15 hours ago April 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 Thursday, April 28 2016 Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:36:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - You could be paying more in taxes than your neighbor and not even know it. Special tax... More >>
18 hours ago April 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 Thursday, April 28 2016 Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:47:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Bikers, walkers, runners and hikers have a new trail at their disposal in Columbia. The Grindstone Creek... More >>
19 hours ago April 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 Thursday, April 28 2016 Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:40:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The leader of Missouri's House said he doesn't expect there will be an effort to revive... More >>
19 hours ago April 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 Thursday, April 28 2016 Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:39:51 PM CDT in News
MALTA BEND (AP) — A group of excavators has found the 175-year-old sunken steamboat Malta, the namesake of the rural... More >>
19 hours ago April 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 Thursday, April 28 2016 Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:32:11 PM CDT in News
SUNSET HILLS (AP) — A prosecutor's spokesman said the remains of a suburban St. Louis woman who had been missing... More >>
19 hours ago April 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 Thursday, April 28 2016 Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:27:00 PM CDT in News
BRIDGETON (AP) — The U.S. government said the owner of a burning suburban St. Louis landfill near buried radioactive waste... More >>
19 hours ago April 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 Thursday, April 28 2016 Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:24:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A measure to allow beer-makers to lease coolers to stores to keep drinks frosty has passed... More >>
19 hours ago April 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 Thursday, April 28 2016 Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:16:25 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA- Drivers at the intersection of Forum Boulevard and Green Meadows Road could soon have a different route. Columbia's... More >>
19 hours ago April 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 Thursday, April 28 2016 Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:07:00 PM CDT in News

The Meredith Vieira Show