Settlement Reached in Kansas Explosion Death
HAVEN, Kan. - The son of a Missouri woman who died in an explosion at a home near Cheney Reservoir has reached a confidential settlement in a wrongful-death lawsuit.
The settlement approved Thursday in Reno County Court ended a lawsuit filed after the death Mary Lou Hemmy, 60, of Independence, Mo. She died in the October 2011 when the owner of a home she was visiting turned on an electric furnace, causing an explosion and fire.
Three other people were injured in the explosion.
Her son, Troy Hemmy, sued Service Gas Inc., Sigg Plumbing LLC and Daniel Sigg, all of Andale. He had sought $2 million but the terms of the settlement were not disclosed, The Hutchinson News reported. As part of the settlement, the defendants denied any wrongdoing.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: