Several local artists appreciate business owner's support

3 years 6 months 1 week ago Thursday, November 13 2014 Nov 13, 2014 Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:26:00 PM CST November 13, 2014 in News
By: Brea Love, KOMU 8 Reporter

CALLAWAY COUNTY - A group of artists and artisans credit some of their success to a local tearoom.

Cherie Rutter, who owns Cherie's Cake Boutique and Tea Room, said she prides herself on supporting local businesses.

One of the artisans Rutter helps owns a business called Crafted by Christine. She said Rutter's tearoom has made a big impact on her family and by allowing her to be a vendor inside the shop.

Christine Wirth said, "I met Cherie through a mutual friend, who had seen my work. I just called her and fell in love with her instantly because she was so sweet and caring and wanted to help me."

Wirth's handcrafted items include wall hangings, jewelry and crocheted hats. She said having her items in the tearoom works very well and saved her family money.

"I had an actual booth in a local business but I found that it took a lot of my time to go and maintain that booth," Wirths said. "I take my things there, and there are customers in and out all the time. If I sell my things that's awesome, I make money and they do too, but if I don't I'm not out of that rental space.

Rutter's tearoom is right off the Millersburg exit on I-70. When the building's roof collapsed during a winter storm, the original owners could not reopen the theater. In order to preserve the historic building, Rutter opened the tearoom in the lobby.

"Tearooms typically are in historical buildings, or somewhere with a history behind them. This one has the history of the lighthouse and the theater and the music. That's one of the reasons I picked this one," Rutter said.

Rutter supports local musicians and artists and features more than 12 different vendors' handcrafted items inside of her shop. Rutter even sells and plays the music of the previous owner of the lighthouse theater, Hazel Kinder.

Rutter said she is motivated to help the community and local business owners because she started her business out of her home years ago.

"When I was doing cakes from home I was always looking for places that I could sell, to get my name out and this is a way for me to support people," Rutter said. "All of the people that have things here I know personally, and it's a way for me to help people in the community, whether it's a musician, author, someone who makes jewelry, or hand crafted items."

The vendors give their items to Rutter and she displays them around the store.
While customers are waiting on their sweets they are invited to look around.

When someone walks in they may notice the abundance of art, wall hangings, and items on the wall. Anything with a tag attached is actually a local vendor's work and for sale.

One vendor who has made a large impact on Rutter is her father.

"My dad has things here, he handcrafts items from old antique silverware. There are wind chimes, necklaces, earrings, and usually bracelets. He had a stroke a few years ago and after that stroke he became really creative and artistic," Rutter said.

Rutter said doctors believe the work is good therapy for her dad, because the fine detail of jewelry making requires hand-eye coordination.

"He does really cool stuff, and his stuff sells really well here," she said.

Polina Corporate, a national real estate company, ranked Missouri within the top ten "pro-business" states. Rutter said she thinks supporting local vendors creates a good business network within Mid-Missouri.

"If I'm supporting someone locally they will support me," Rutter said. "If they have things here they're obviously going to send people here to shop for their stuff. I would prefer to spend my money with a local small business instead of a big chain. "

Ten percent of all vendors' proceeds go to charity.

Rutter will hold a local vendor showcase on November 15. For more information on her vendors and the event visit her website.

Related Stories

COLUMBIA- The city of Columbia will hold the first of seven community policing meetings Wednesday evening. Each meeting is set... More >>
43 minutes ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:34:00 AM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
BOLIVAR (AP) — The Missouri State Highway Patrol says an 87-year-old man died after a small plane he was piloting... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, May 23 2018 May 23, 2018 Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:39:00 AM CDT May 23, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens was pulled over Friday while speeding. Spokesman Parker Briden in a... More >>
13 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:21:00 PM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – The next phase of a new VA facility in Jefferson City is underway. Jefferson City Council... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:16:00 PM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
KAISER - One family says it is facing an immigration nightmare. Jia McDevitt's parents were detained at the Jacksonville, Florida, port... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:20:00 PM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - MUPD hosted a Citizen's Response to Active Threats training Tuesday. MU senior Olivia Botonis said learning about... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:05:00 PM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - Like actors rehearsing a script, Missouri lawmakers on Tuesday publicly read aloud the previously secret criminal... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:35:00 PM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA- Missouri Lt. Gov. Mike Parson toured Columbia Tuesday afternoon to visit new business locations and talk about everything from... More >>
16 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:42:00 PM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - A Missouri environmental group is suing to overturn a law that lengthens the process the Department... More >>
17 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:56:00 PM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - A jury trial in a wrongful death lawsuit in Carl DeBrodie's death is scheduled to begin March 2,... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:20:00 PM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia City Council failed to pass the controversial Henderson Branch sewer project in a 3-3 vote Monday... More >>
21 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:49:00 AM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Latest on allegations against Gov. Eric Greitens (all times local): 5:35 p.m. ... More >>
22 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:12:00 AM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Springfield police say an 8-year-old girl who hadn't been seen since early Tuesday has been found... More >>
23 hours ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:36:00 AM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - In the wake of the deadly Santa Fe High School shooting , the MU Police Department will be... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:43:00 AM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
BRUSSELS (AP) — Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg faces senior European Union lawmakers later Tuesday to answer questions about a... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:22:00 AM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department said it found a missing teen around 1 a.m. Tuesday. Authorities said Brice... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:41:00 AM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia residents will have a chance to learn about - and talk about - climate change Tuesday night.... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, May 22 2018 May 22, 2018 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:00:00 AM CDT May 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - An on-going rift between two east campus communities has come to a breaking point. Non-resident property owners want... More >>
1 day ago Monday, May 21 2018 May 21, 2018 Monday, May 21, 2018 7:29:00 PM CDT May 21, 2018 in Top Stories