Several local artists appreciate business owner's support

3 years 1 month 1 day ago Thursday, November 13 2014 Nov 13, 2014 Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:26:00 PM CST November 13, 2014 in News
By: Brea Love, KOMU 8 Reporter

CALLAWAY COUNTY - A group of artists and artisans credit some of their success to a local tearoom.

Cherie Rutter, who owns Cherie's Cake Boutique and Tea Room, said she prides herself on supporting local businesses.

One of the artisans Rutter helps owns a business called Crafted by Christine. She said Rutter's tearoom has made a big impact on her family and by allowing her to be a vendor inside the shop.

Christine Wirth said, "I met Cherie through a mutual friend, who had seen my work. I just called her and fell in love with her instantly because she was so sweet and caring and wanted to help me."

Wirth's handcrafted items include wall hangings, jewelry and crocheted hats. She said having her items in the tearoom works very well and saved her family money.

"I had an actual booth in a local business but I found that it took a lot of my time to go and maintain that booth," Wirths said. "I take my things there, and there are customers in and out all the time. If I sell my things that's awesome, I make money and they do too, but if I don't I'm not out of that rental space.

Rutter's tearoom is right off the Millersburg exit on I-70. When the building's roof collapsed during a winter storm, the original owners could not reopen the theater. In order to preserve the historic building, Rutter opened the tearoom in the lobby.

"Tearooms typically are in historical buildings, or somewhere with a history behind them. This one has the history of the lighthouse and the theater and the music. That's one of the reasons I picked this one," Rutter said.

Rutter supports local musicians and artists and features more than 12 different vendors' handcrafted items inside of her shop. Rutter even sells and plays the music of the previous owner of the lighthouse theater, Hazel Kinder.

Rutter said she is motivated to help the community and local business owners because she started her business out of her home years ago.

"When I was doing cakes from home I was always looking for places that I could sell, to get my name out and this is a way for me to support people," Rutter said. "All of the people that have things here I know personally, and it's a way for me to help people in the community, whether it's a musician, author, someone who makes jewelry, or hand crafted items."

The vendors give their items to Rutter and she displays them around the store.
While customers are waiting on their sweets they are invited to look around.

When someone walks in they may notice the abundance of art, wall hangings, and items on the wall. Anything with a tag attached is actually a local vendor's work and for sale.

One vendor who has made a large impact on Rutter is her father.

"My dad has things here, he handcrafts items from old antique silverware. There are wind chimes, necklaces, earrings, and usually bracelets. He had a stroke a few years ago and after that stroke he became really creative and artistic," Rutter said.

Rutter said doctors believe the work is good therapy for her dad, because the fine detail of jewelry making requires hand-eye coordination.

"He does really cool stuff, and his stuff sells really well here," she said.

Polina Corporate, a national real estate company, ranked Missouri within the top ten "pro-business" states. Rutter said she thinks supporting local vendors creates a good business network within Mid-Missouri.

"If I'm supporting someone locally they will support me," Rutter said. "If they have things here they're obviously going to send people here to shop for their stuff. I would prefer to spend my money with a local small business instead of a big chain. "

Ten percent of all vendors' proceeds go to charity.

Rutter will hold a local vendor showcase on November 15. For more information on her vendors and the event visit her website.

Related Stories

COLUMBIA - The Columbia Chamber of Commerce is advocating for a full functioning Hyperloop to come to Missouri. After... More >>
57 minutes ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 3:32:00 AM CST December 15, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Kevin Roy scored twice and John Gibson made 29 saves as the Anaheim Ducks defeated the... More >>
6 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:20:39 PM CST December 14, 2017 in Sports
COLUMBIA - Iron Tiger Tattoo parlor in downtown Columbia mops its floors nearly three times a day. It didn’t use... More >>
6 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:56:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in Target 8
CAMDENTON - The Missouri Department of Natural Resources recommended an old manufacturer in Camdenton as a Superfund site. Money... More >>
7 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:30:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
VERSAILLES - Prosecutors filed charges against three employees of the Morgan County Jail on Monday, including a nurse accused of... More >>
8 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:50:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
FULTON - People who are preparing to travel for the holidays are automatically at risk for robberies, road issues, and... More >>
9 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:25:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The search for Missouri's next top education official has started. The State Board of Education... More >>
10 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:13:24 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
MOBERLY - Fire and law enforcement officers from three counties received radiological training Thursday at the Moberly Fire Department. ... More >>
10 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:09:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Here is the latest on a threat to Moberly Area Community College's Columbia campus: 6:55 p.m. ... More >>
11 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:00:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
UPDATE: Suspect Monquail Williams has been taken into custody in Boone County without incident. According to Corporal Andy Boggs... More >>
11 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:47:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The City of Columbia has new aid in fighting snowy roads this with the help of its new... More >>
12 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:04:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
AUDRAIN COUNTY – One Missouri farmer is righting his wrong following a pig waste leakage into a nearby creek. ... More >>
12 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:45:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Authorities are investigating a Wednesday night shooting which injured a 19-year-old Jefferson City resident, police said in... More >>
12 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:37:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Callaway County schools donated more than 9,200 toys to Toys for Tots Thursday. "We're excited," coordinator Melissa... More >>
13 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:20:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
BELLEFONTAINE NEIGHBORS (AP) - The Latest on the shooting of two St. Louis-area police officers saved by their bulletproof vests... More >>
13 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:17:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Thursday marked the five year anniversary of the Sandy Hook shooting. In 2012, Adam Lanza opened fire... More >>
13 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:50:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Police now have 75 kits with the opioid overdose reversal medication naloxone, which is also known as Narcan.... More >>
13 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:39:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The former administrator of the Pettis County Ambulance District has admitted embezzling more than $227,000... More >>
14 hours ago Thursday, December 14 2017 Dec 14, 2017 Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:15:00 PM CST December 14, 2017 in News

4:00a