Sidewalk Aims to Make Walk to Parkade Elementary Safer
COLUMBIA - Columbia Public Works unveiled plans for a sidewalk near Parkade Elementary School Wednesday evening.
The proposed sidewalk would run along the East side of Garth Avenue between Leslie Lane and Parkade Boulevard. The plan also includes concepts for two crosswalks and pedestrian-activated yellow lights.
Rick Kaufmann is an engineering supervisor for City of Columbia Public Works. He said the sidewalk would make the area safer for children walking to and from Parkade Elementary.
"Right now, the kids have to cross over Garth Avenue and use the sidewalk on this side of the road," he said. "With this project, we are filling in that sidewalk gap on the East side and also making a safer crosswalk at Parkade."
Columbia Public Works estimates the total project will cost $294,000. Federal Transportation Enhancement funds would cover 80% of it, the other 20% would be from the Capital Improvement Sales tax.
The project has remained a top priority on the City's Sidewalk Master Plan since 2007. The Columbia City Council first endorsed it in September 2012.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: