Space heater suspected in fatal southeast Missouri fire
MARBLE HILL (AP) - Another fire death caused by a space heater has prompted the Missouri Department of Public Safety to issue a reminder about the potential dangers of using portable heaters and other unconventional heat sources.
The Southeast Missourian reports that 62-year-old Gerald Seiler of Bollinger County died Sunday in a house fire. Hutchings, who was confined to a wheelchair, lived alone in the home.
Space heaters also are suspected in fires that caused seven deaths in Missouri earlier this month.
State officials say anything flammable should be kept at least 3 feet away from space heaters. Children should be kept away, and the heaters should be turned off whenever anyone leaves the room or goes to bed.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: