Springfield Utility Fire Releases Carbon Monoxide
SPRINGFIELD - Three employees of a Springfield power plant were treated after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning during a fire at the plant.
Fire officials say the blaze in coal bunkers at the John Twitty Energy Center on Monday released dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide.
Assistant Fire Chief Randy Villines says fire crews found carbon monoxide readings up to 3,000 parts per million when they tested air near the bunkers.
The three employees tried to fight the fire inside three of four coal bunkers before firefighters arrived.
The Springfield News-Leader reports that City Utilities declined to discuss the employees or their conditions.
No one else was injured by the fire. The power plant itself was not damaged and continued to operate normally.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: