State auditor announces review of Missouri Veterans Commission
JEFFERSON CITY - State Auditor Tom Schweich announced Wednesday his office would audit the Missouri Veterans Commission in 2015. He also released responses to seven complaints from federal elected officials related to the handling of pension and disability claims.
In a letter to the Missouri Veterans Commission and Director Larry Kay, Schweich explained the methodology used in the review the Veterans Service Offices employed by the commission. The objectives of the review were to determine whether the VSO's properly handled the claims, including whether decisions were properly documented and veterans (or their guardians) were properly informed of the status and their claims.
Due to restrictions under the Health Insurance and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the names of the veterans associated with these complaints or their family members, cannot be released by Schweich's office.
Here's a list of the complaints from federal officials that will be addressed:
- Complaint 1 - the Veterans Service Offices did not file a Notice of Disagreement after the VA denied the original claim.
- Complaint 2 - the Veterans Service Offices failed to file a pension claim and only provided excuses for over 2 years regarding
why the claim was not filed.
- Complaint 3 - the Veterans Service Offices provided excuses to a family member of the veteran for over a year as to why the VA had not processed the claim, when in fact, the Offices had failed to file the claim.
- Complaint 4 - the Veterans Service Offices failed to file an appeal for a veteran and failed to file a claim on behalf of the veteran's parent.
- Complaint 5 - the Veterans Service Offices failed to file a claim for 18 years of retroactive benefits on behalf of a veteran's widow.
- Complaint 6 - the Veterans Service Offices failed to file a disability claim until the MVC Director of the Veterans Services Program was contacted. Since the claim was not filed timely, the veteran passed away in 2012 without ever receiving disability benefits.