Student sent to hospital after small explosion at Columbia College
COLUMBIA – One student was in the hospital Thursday after a small explosion in a science building on Columbia College’s campus.
The Columbia Fire Department went to campus around 1:30 p.m. after a minor incident in a science lab, according to Columbia College Advancement Services Interim Director Suzanne Rothwell.
Columbia College Public Relations Assistant Director Sam Fleury said the explosion happened during a class science experiment in the Brouder Science Center.
Rothwell said the building was roped off but wasn't evacuated.
Three students had minor injuries, Fleury said. He said one student went to University Hospital with mild injuries, but two students refused transport.
Columbia/Boone County Public Safety Joint Communications said two of the injured students received burns from the chemical nitrous acid.
Fourteen units responded to Columbia College for the incident. All emergency vehicles left campus grounds by 2:30 p.m.
According to Columbia College, the labs are scheduled to be open as usual Friday.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: