Surveillance Cameras May Roll Soon
COLUMBIA - Cherry and Hitt street is one of four "hot spots" of where the cameras are going. The city established them by monitoring the locations where the most 911 calls were made in the downtown area for the last year and came up with these areas:
1) The area around the corner of Hitt and Cherry Street
2) The area around Hitt and East Broadway
3) The area at E. Broadway and N. 7th street
4) The area around Flat Branch Park
City assistant manager Tony St. Romaine said that after 2 years, downtown surveillance cams might be finally on the horizon.
"Once we have the agreement in place, once the vendor has time to order materials and start prioritizing which cameras would be first," St. Romaine said. "I think were probably looking at cameras in the downtown area possibly in the next two to three months."
Another important topic discussed was the progress with Hinkson creek issue. Officials said they have three major concerns so far.
1) The stipulation that the creek has to be at 100% health at all times
2) That it will take longer than 5 years
3) Lack of funding
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: