Survey: Share Your Opinion on Sales Tax Aimed at Improving Roads
COLUMBIA - A sales tax increase will be put to Missouri voters on the November ballot. Supporters say it will help with the upkeep of the state's highways and roads. (Take our survey to share your opinion on the measure.)
Lawmakers passed legislation which would implement a sales tax increase of three-fourths of one cent per dollar. The sales tax was originally set to increase by one percent, but the senate lowered it to reduce opposition.
MIssouri has the 4th largest transportation system in the United states but is 73rd in funding.
The proposed tax would add about 8 cents to a $10 purchase and would take effect January 1, 2015. The sales tax will be applied over a ten year period to all products that are sold in the state, excluding food and perscription drugs .
Supporters say the bill would provide nearly $1 billion in revenue.
90 percent of that would go to state projects and the other 10 percent to local projects.
Half way through the 10 year period, the House and Senate would come together as a joint committee to review MoDOT's projects and make sure the money is being used correctly.
Below is a brief anonymous survey designed to gauge support for the ballot measure and find out how KOMU 8 News viewers would want the money spent. Your participation is appreciated.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: