Trial E - What It Means
COLUMBIA - The Columbia City Council voted Monday to adopt Trial E as the city's new ward map. The trial passed 6-1.
- The new map will see Columbia's First, or Central, Ward expanded farther to the west and the Second Ward.
- Many consider the Central Ward to be highly influential politically.
- The Benton-Stephens neighborhood is comprised of many students and low-voting populations. It became a part of the Central Ward in Trial E.
- Daryl Dudley, of the fourth ward, pushed to redistrict in a way that balances population numbers. Some accused him of essentially gerrymandering Democrats out of the district. The council turned down his plan, and he made a statement suggesting he would not continue to represent the Fourth Ward. Since then, Dudley recalled his statement.
- Third Ward Councilman Gary Kespohl urged the council to approve none of the proposed trials.
- Councilwoman Barbara Hoppe praised the move, saying it was the fairest plan and disturbs the least amount of local neighborhoods. Trial E improved the balance of district populations.
KOMU 8 called City Hall to further clarify the issue. When they return our call, we will update this page.
COLUMBIA — A man is in the hospital after a shooting at Douglass Park Thursday evening. The Columbia Police... More >>
COLUMBIA – Consumers can breathe a sigh of relief after the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced it adopted privacy rules... More >>
COLUMBIA - MU Alert reported a sexual assault near Providence and Stewart Road in a wooded area near an MKT... More >>
COLUMBIA - The City of Columbia and Shelter Insurance are teaming up to help out a few underprivileged high school... More >>
COLUMBIA – The Missouri Civil Liberties Association (MOCLA) hosted a forum focused on civil liberties and civil rights issues Thursday... More >>
COLUMBIA - Veterans at the Patriot Place apartments could soon see some new accommodations to the outside areas of the... More >>
HARRISONVILLE (AP) — Prosecutors have filed a weapons charge against a Kansas City man who was questioned in a suspected... More >>
COLUMBIA - Areas of state-owned land is doubling as a dumping ground for methamphetamine residue in Mid-Missouri. Tom Strother,... More >>
COLUMBIA – As Halloween weekend approaches, Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster is cracking down on illegal cosmetic contact sales. ... More >>
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Police say a 3-year-old died from a gunshot wound inside a home in eastern Kansas City.... More >>
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A suburban St. Louis man has been sentenced to nearly four years in prison and ordered... More >>
BOONE COUNTY - Parts of Boone County were under a boil water advisory Thursday, according to the Consolidated Public Water... More >>
COLUMBIA - Federal Student Aid is now accepting FAFSA applications to see if you or your child is eligible for... More >>
COLUMBIA—Efforts to educate and prevent local youths from engaging in bad actions is having an impact on juvenile detention numbers.... More >>
BOONE COUNTY - Board members of the Boone County Fire Protection District dismissed a former volunteer Thursday after he was... More >>
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule:
Coming Up Next
10:00pKOMU 8 News @ 10
10:35pThe Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
10:00pThe King of Queens
10:30pThe King of Queens
7:30pThe Good Place
7:00pDC's Legends of Tomorrow
9:00pKOMU 8 News @ Nine on The CW