Trial E - What It Means
COLUMBIA - The Columbia City Council voted Monday to adopt Trial E as the city's new ward map. The trial passed 6-1.
- The new map will see Columbia's First, or Central, Ward expanded farther to the west and the Second Ward.
- Many consider the Central Ward to be highly influential politically.
- The Benton-Stephens neighborhood is comprised of many students and low-voting populations. It became a part of the Central Ward in Trial E.
- Daryl Dudley, of the fourth ward, pushed to redistrict in a way that balances population numbers. Some accused him of essentially gerrymandering Democrats out of the district. The council turned down his plan, and he made a statement suggesting he would not continue to represent the Fourth Ward. Since then, Dudley recalled his statement.
- Third Ward Councilman Gary Kespohl urged the council to approve none of the proposed trials.
- Councilwoman Barbara Hoppe praised the move, saying it was the fairest plan and disturbs the least amount of local neighborhoods. Trial E improved the balance of district populations.
KOMU 8 called City Hall to further clarify the issue. When they return our call, we will update this page.
COLUMBIA Updated 7:05 p.m. - The Columbia Police Department said a second victim in the Sunday shooting on I-70 Drive... More >>
COLUMBIA - During his time as athletic director at the University of Missouri Mike Alden oversaw a little bit of... More >>
ST. LOUIS (AP) — About 1,000 of St. Louis' delinquent properties are expected to face the wrecking ball to create... More >>
OZARK, Mo . (AP) — A southwestern Missouri man is accused of sexual misconduct involving a teenager who investigators say... More >>
FORSYTH, Mo . (AP) — Authorities said a southern Missouri man told investigators he was either sleepwalking or dreaming when... More >>
UPDATED 3/26/17 7:46 p.m. The Boone County Fire Protection District is no longer leading the search. KOMU has... More >>
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Two men each are jailed on $750,000 bond after being accused in connection with the St.... More >>
COLUMBIA - Two semi trucks and two cars were part of a wreck Saturday that closed westbound I-70. The... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Republican-led Missouri Legislature will get back to a business-friendly agenda when it returns from... More >>
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis man has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole... More >>
CLAYTON, Mo. (AP) — An activist who helped shut down a St. Louis-area freeway during protests commemorating the first anniversary... More >>
COLUMBIA – Columbia businesses are coming together to encourage community members to lead healthy and balanced lives. Keystone Chiropractic... More >>
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule:
Coming Up Next
9:00pShades of Blue
10:00pKOMU 8 News @ 10
10:35pSports Extra with Chris Gervino
7:00pLittle Big Shots
9:00pShades of Blue
8:00pMarvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
9:00pKOMU 8 News @ Nine on The CW