Trial E - What It Means
COLUMBIA - The Columbia City Council voted Monday to adopt Trial E as the city's new ward map. The trial passed 6-1.
- The new map will see Columbia's First, or Central, Ward expanded farther to the west and the Second Ward.
- Many consider the Central Ward to be highly influential politically.
- The Benton-Stephens neighborhood is comprised of many students and low-voting populations. It became a part of the Central Ward in Trial E.
- Daryl Dudley, of the fourth ward, pushed to redistrict in a way that balances population numbers. Some accused him of essentially gerrymandering Democrats out of the district. The council turned down his plan, and he made a statement suggesting he would not continue to represent the Fourth Ward. Since then, Dudley recalled his statement.
- Third Ward Councilman Gary Kespohl urged the council to approve none of the proposed trials.
- Councilwoman Barbara Hoppe praised the move, saying it was the fairest plan and disturbs the least amount of local neighborhoods. Trial E improved the balance of district populations.
KOMU 8 called City Hall to further clarify the issue. When they return our call, we will update this page.
FULTON - The Callaway County Sheriff’s Office is requesting a more than $9,000 grant from the Missouri Department of... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY - For those who watch the winter Olympics and think "I could do that", there is an opportunity... More >>
COLUMBIA – No. 11 Mizzou will look to keep the good times rolling on Senior Night tonight as they tip... More >>
ST. LOUIS - Gov. Eric Greitens is calling his indictment on invasion of privacy a "disappointing and misguided political decision."... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY - Six Fulton residents were sentenced in federal court for their roles in a conspiracy to distribute more... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY - The future of driving lies in electric and autonomous driving vehicles according to speakers at Jefferson City's... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri lawmaker who called for the vandal of a Confederate monument to be hanged won't... More >>
COLUMBIA - A Tuskegee Airman told stories of his time in a segregated military while speaking at a Black History... More >>
COLUMBIA - The head coach of the University of South Carolina's women's basketball team filed a defamation lawsuit Thursday against... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY - The Jefferson City Fire Department responded to a structure fire on the 2200 block of Oakview Drive.... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The chairman of the Missouri House Budget Committee is announcing a proposal to reduce... More >>
ARNOLD (AP) — A man who went to pick up a relative from a suburban St. Louis high school with... More >>
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A former Missouri charity executive has been indicted in a conspiracy that has ensnared a former Arkansas... More >>
COLUMBIA - Federal court documents filed Tuesday give details into the past of Coffee Zone's owner. This comes after police... More >>
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule:
Coming Up Next
4:30aKOMU 8 News Today
5:00aKOMU 8 News Today
6:00aKOMU 8 News Today
7:00p2018 Olympic Winter Games
7:00pThe 3rd Annual Howie Mandel Stand-Up Gala
8:30pWhose Line Is It Anyway?
9:00pKOMU 8 News @ Nine on The CW