Trial E - What It Means
COLUMBIA - The Columbia City Council voted Monday to adopt Trial E as the city's new ward map. The trial passed 6-1.
- The new map will see Columbia's First, or Central, Ward expanded farther to the west and the Second Ward.
- Many consider the Central Ward to be highly influential politically.
- The Benton-Stephens neighborhood is comprised of many students and low-voting populations. It became a part of the Central Ward in Trial E.
- Daryl Dudley, of the fourth ward, pushed to redistrict in a way that balances population numbers. Some accused him of essentially gerrymandering Democrats out of the district. The council turned down his plan, and he made a statement suggesting he would not continue to represent the Fourth Ward. Since then, Dudley recalled his statement.
- Third Ward Councilman Gary Kespohl urged the council to approve none of the proposed trials.
- Councilwoman Barbara Hoppe praised the move, saying it was the fairest plan and disturbs the least amount of local neighborhoods. Trial E improved the balance of district populations.
KOMU 8 called City Hall to further clarify the issue. When they return our call, we will update this page.
COLUMBIA - Thursday kicked off Budweiser’s latest effort in its campaign to prevent drunk driving. Missouri is one of... More >>
COLUMBIA – A group is looking to bring a new residential neighborhood to Columbia’s westside. Subject to zoning and annex... More >>
OSAGE BEACH - Firefighters are turning over an ongoing case to federal investigators, according to Eddie Nicholson, the Osage Beach... More >>
FULTON – The Hair Hut is completely smoke damaged after a fire. Sue Jennings owns the salon, and she... More >>
COLUMBIA - With the autumn season starting Friday, the Missouri Department of Conservation has begun its weekly online fall color... More >>
COLUMBIA – An unknown man threw rocks through a funeral home’s vehicle and building windows on Wednesday around 4 a.m,... More >>
COLUMBIA - Volunteers from The Compassion Experience pulled into the parking lot of Compass Evangelical Free Church Thursday. Behind them... More >>
COLUMBIA - MU is holding students at a better rate than previous years, according to recently released data. According... More >>
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A private Catholic school for girls in Kansas City says it has disciplined a group of... More >>
COLUMBIA - Some mid-Missouri residents who know what it's like to live through a horrific natural disaster have some advice... More >>
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A Missouri congressman has heightened security to his office after a shooting at a congressional baseball practice... More >>
MOBERLY- Moberly Fire Department firefighters dropped down 8 feet underground Thursday to rescue two mock victims. “It’s a little... More >>
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule:
Coming Up Next
6:00aKOMU 8 News Today
8:30aNaturally, Danny Seo
7:00aCalling Dr. Pol
9:00pSaturday Night Live
9:00pKOMU 8 News @ Nine on The CW