Trial E - What It Means
COLUMBIA - The Columbia City Council voted Monday to adopt Trial E as the city's new ward map. The trial passed 6-1.
- The new map will see Columbia's First, or Central, Ward expanded farther to the west and the Second Ward.
- Many consider the Central Ward to be highly influential politically.
- The Benton-Stephens neighborhood is comprised of many students and low-voting populations. It became a part of the Central Ward in Trial E.
- Daryl Dudley, of the fourth ward, pushed to redistrict in a way that balances population numbers. Some accused him of essentially gerrymandering Democrats out of the district. The council turned down his plan, and he made a statement suggesting he would not continue to represent the Fourth Ward. Since then, Dudley recalled his statement.
- Third Ward Councilman Gary Kespohl urged the council to approve none of the proposed trials.
- Councilwoman Barbara Hoppe praised the move, saying it was the fairest plan and disturbs the least amount of local neighborhoods. Trial E improved the balance of district populations.
KOMU 8 called City Hall to further clarify the issue. When they return our call, we will update this page.
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Missouri House has passed a proposal to spend roughly $242 million more than planned this... More >>
FERGUSON (AP) — Police in Ferguson, Missouri, are investigating after a private security guard shot an armed man at the... More >>
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A man has been sentenced to life in prison in connection with the 2014 southwestern Missouri shooting... More >>
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Four St. Louis officers are suspended without pay amid internal and criminal investigations over whether they... More >>
COLUMBIA- Columbia Solid Waste Utilities will open its Hazardous Household Waste Facility Saturday. Columbia residents can drop off their... More >>
COLUMBIA - The Family Access Center for Excellence, or FACE , is working to help more families in Boone County... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Members of Missouri's House Budget Committee want to make records of elected officials' flights on the... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY - A bill looking to remove construction worker payment restrictions on contractors is moving along in the capitol... More >>
COLUMBIA - Crews responded to a vehicle fire on northbound Highway 63 in Columbia around 6:30 Tuesday evening, just south... More >>
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Federal prosecutors allege that two Kansas City men killed a man after kidnapping him and attempting... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri appeals court panel said utility regulators had no authority to grant conditional approval for... More >>
BUNCETON - A water leak that occurred around 5 p.m. on Tuesday forced the city to turn off the water... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Missouri House gave initial approval to a bill that would overturn a St. Louis ordinance... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY – On April 4, Cole County voters will see two propositions on the ballot designed to improve Jefferson... More >>
COLUMBIA – The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service placed native bumblebees on the endangered species list at the start of... More >>
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule:
Coming Up Next
12:00pKOMU 8 News @ Noon
9:00aThe Steve Wilkos Show
9:00pThe Blacklist: Redemption
9:00pKOMU 8 News @ Nine on The CW