Tyree Byndom Rises from Delinquent to Award Winner

3 years 6 months 1 week ago February 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013 Monday, February 18 2013 Monday, February 18, 2013 7:03:00 PM CST in News
By: Allie Hinds

COLUMBIA- "Martin Luther King Jr. stated, ‘Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.' Anyone who knows Tyree Byndom can tell you he is not a silent man," Mayor Bob McDavid said at the 16th annual Columbia Values Diversity Awards.

Silence is never something Tyree Byndom, winner of this year's Columbia Values Diversity Award, has struggled with. He hosts three radio shows back to back on community radio station KOPN every Saturday from 2-6pm. Byndom worked with the National Society of Black Engineers to start after-school tutoring programs in Columbia. He's also involved with the Minority Men's Network, the Everyone Eats Program, PedNet's Unite for Healthy Neighborhoods, and Columbia's Stop the Violence campaign.

Byndom moved his family to Columbia's First Ward neighborhood so he can be an active and involved presence there. He brought back the Douglass Park Neighborhood Association after 11 years of nonexistence.

But the first time Byndom moved to Columbia's First Ward, getting out was all Byndom wanted to do.

When Byndom was nine years old, his mother Debra Gentry, moved Byndom and his brother to Columbia to escape the violence of St. Louis.

"When I felt like St. Louis wasn't safe, I left because I watched every friend I had die," Gentry said.

She watched not only friends die, but loved ones too. "When I learned that [Byndom's father] was shot, I was 9 months pregnant," Gentry said. "He died the day Tyree was supposed to be born."

Gentry was 14 at the time. She put herself through school and got her college degree while raising two boys.

"I did it because I wanted to be an example to them. I was the first one in the family to earn a bachelor's degree. I just wanted to let them know if you think it, you can do it period," Gentry said.

When Gentry and her boys moved to Columbia, it wasn't an easy transition.

Byndom ended up at the Juvenile Justice Center, and a few years later despite his mother's push to go to college, he joined the Marines.

"You know for me it was my way to get out of [Columbia]. That's just the reality of it. A lot of my friends were getting locked up," Byndom said.

"I feel a person has to grow and the only way they'll grow is if you allow them to. You have to let them go because then when they come back it's that much sweeter," Gentry said.

But Byndom's return home wasn't as sweet as his mother had hoped. "He was angry. ‘I'll kill you if you look at me, I'll kill you if you step on my shoe.' I said, ‘look son something's wrong,'" Gentry said.

"She basically said what do you want to do. Then after that she said you have to choose what mark you're going to leave on the earth," Byndom said. "I got to the point where I started asking myself 'what's my purpose?' 'What am I going to do?' 'What am I trying to accomplish?'"

In 2001, Byndom was asked to host a radio show on KOPN. He said that show helped show him his purpose in the community.

"It's up to us no matter what our differences are, no matter what problems we have with each other to come together to find some goal to create some type of change for our kids," Byndom said.

Gentry created a change for her kids and now Byndom is trying to create a change for Columbia.

"At a certain point it started to click of how much time and investment she put into me," Byndom said.

Now, every Saturday at 5pm Gentry and her husband Greg join Byndom to host Kore Issues on KOPN. They talk about their lives, their stories, their issues and engage with listeners as they call in to do the same.

"I'm very proud of him... It's really nice for a community to recognize a person that is trying to be different, trying to make a difference, caring about his community, caring about somebody other then himself," Gentry said.

To find out more about Byndom and the organization's he's involved with click here.

COLUMBIA- Tick season doesn't end with the summer holidays. According to a Columbia veterinarian, Dr. Rebecca Markenson, tick season typically... More >>
3 hours ago August 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016 Saturday, August 27 2016 Saturday, August 27, 2016 6:20:00 AM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY- Starting Sunday, a new bill approved by the state Legistlature in May and signed by Gov. Jay Nixon... More >>
3 hours ago August 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016 Saturday, August 27 2016 Saturday, August 27, 2016 6:10:00 AM CDT in News
LAKE OF THE OZARKS,MO - The Highway Patrol has released the names of the two men involved in a powerboat... More >>
11 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 10:57:00 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — One of several protesters charged after disruptions at a Kansas City rally for Republican presidential... More >>
14 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 7:29:49 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – iPhone and iPad users beware: Apple has announced a new security update after finding out hackers have taken... More >>
15 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 6:24:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Thousands of people will come together Saturday at the annual Mid-Missouri PrideFest, but this year's celebration will be... More >>
16 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 5:21:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Special Administrative Board has unanimously approved up to $1 million to eliminate lead contamination after... More >>
17 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 5:01:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - A recently released national report shows some Columbia entrepreneurs are having a lot of success. Inc. Magazine,... More >>
18 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 3:57:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Researchers at MU Sinclair School of Nursing and College of Engineering have come up with a way to... More >>
18 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 3:52:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia Public Schools Board of Education agreed Thursday on a 57-cent property tax increase, following voter approval earlier... More >>
18 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 3:31:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Green BEAN Delivery, which is the largest online natural and organic grocery delivery service in the Midwest, donated... More >>
18 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 3:15:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis man is dead after allegedly punching a man in a wheelchair — only... More >>
20 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 1:31:11 PM CDT in News
PLATTE CITY, Mo. (AP) — A Kansas City man was sentenced to 12 years in prison for scalding a 2-year-old... More >>
20 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 1:21:20 PM CDT in News
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — A recently retired Springfield teacher has been charged with child molestation. The Springfield News-Leader reported... More >>
23 hours ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 10:36:51 AM CDT in News
HAZELWOOD, Mo. (AP) — The Missouri State Highway Patrol was investigating a crash that left a suburban St. Louis police... More >>
1 day ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 9:04:50 AM CDT in News
WARRENSBURG (AP) — Authorities are investigating a bank robbery in Warrensburg. Police said in a news release that... More >>
1 day ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 7:45:00 AM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A suburban St. Louis woman who reportedly stabbed herself with a pen after her arrest for... More >>
1 day ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 7:37:00 AM CDT in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A former employee of a bank in southwestern Missouri's Aurora has been ordered to spend a year... More >>
1 day ago August 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016 Friday, August 26 2016 Friday, August 26, 2016 6:35:00 AM CDT in News

10:00a