Tyree Byndom Rises from Delinquent to Award Winner

4 years 7 months 3 weeks ago Monday, February 18 2013 Feb 18, 2013 Monday, February 18, 2013 7:03:00 PM CST February 18, 2013 in News
By: Allie Hinds

COLUMBIA- "Martin Luther King Jr. stated, ‘Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.' Anyone who knows Tyree Byndom can tell you he is not a silent man," Mayor Bob McDavid said at the 16th annual Columbia Values Diversity Awards.

Silence is never something Tyree Byndom, winner of this year's Columbia Values Diversity Award, has struggled with. He hosts three radio shows back to back on community radio station KOPN every Saturday from 2-6pm. Byndom worked with the National Society of Black Engineers to start after-school tutoring programs in Columbia. He's also involved with the Minority Men's Network, the Everyone Eats Program, PedNet's Unite for Healthy Neighborhoods, and Columbia's Stop the Violence campaign.

Byndom moved his family to Columbia's First Ward neighborhood so he can be an active and involved presence there. He brought back the Douglass Park Neighborhood Association after 11 years of nonexistence.

But the first time Byndom moved to Columbia's First Ward, getting out was all Byndom wanted to do.

When Byndom was nine years old, his mother Debra Gentry, moved Byndom and his brother to Columbia to escape the violence of St. Louis.

"When I felt like St. Louis wasn't safe, I left because I watched every friend I had die," Gentry said.

She watched not only friends die, but loved ones too. "When I learned that [Byndom's father] was shot, I was 9 months pregnant," Gentry said. "He died the day Tyree was supposed to be born."

Gentry was 14 at the time. She put herself through school and got her college degree while raising two boys.

"I did it because I wanted to be an example to them. I was the first one in the family to earn a bachelor's degree. I just wanted to let them know if you think it, you can do it period," Gentry said.

When Gentry and her boys moved to Columbia, it wasn't an easy transition.

Byndom ended up at the Juvenile Justice Center, and a few years later despite his mother's push to go to college, he joined the Marines.

"You know for me it was my way to get out of [Columbia]. That's just the reality of it. A lot of my friends were getting locked up," Byndom said.

"I feel a person has to grow and the only way they'll grow is if you allow them to. You have to let them go because then when they come back it's that much sweeter," Gentry said.

But Byndom's return home wasn't as sweet as his mother had hoped. "He was angry. ‘I'll kill you if you look at me, I'll kill you if you step on my shoe.' I said, ‘look son something's wrong,'" Gentry said.

"She basically said what do you want to do. Then after that she said you have to choose what mark you're going to leave on the earth," Byndom said. "I got to the point where I started asking myself 'what's my purpose?' 'What am I going to do?' 'What am I trying to accomplish?'"

In 2001, Byndom was asked to host a radio show on KOPN. He said that show helped show him his purpose in the community.

"It's up to us no matter what our differences are, no matter what problems we have with each other to come together to find some goal to create some type of change for our kids," Byndom said.

Gentry created a change for her kids and now Byndom is trying to create a change for Columbia.

"At a certain point it started to click of how much time and investment she put into me," Byndom said.

Now, every Saturday at 5pm Gentry and her husband Greg join Byndom to host Kore Issues on KOPN. They talk about their lives, their stories, their issues and engage with listeners as they call in to do the same.

"I'm very proud of him... It's really nice for a community to recognize a person that is trying to be different, trying to make a difference, caring about his community, caring about somebody other then himself," Gentry said.

To find out more about Byndom and the organization's he's involved with click here.

COLUMBIA - New television or cleaning service? New shoes or lawn care? A new study suggests time-saving purchases make people... More >>
23 minutes ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:06:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — The former city clerk in Walnut Grove was sentenced to a year and a day in federal... More >>
1 hour ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:09:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Jefferson City Council approved street repairs for South Lincoln Street after six months of residents dealing... More >>
1 hour ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:30:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - A local committee dedicated another African American Heritage Trail Marker on Tuesday. The Sharp End Heritage Committee... More >>
2 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:53:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- C-SPAN arrived in Jefferson City on Tuesday to meet with local and state politicians and middle school students... More >>
2 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:49:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A federal inmate with end-stage renal disease has been spared the death penalty for his fourth murder... More >>
5 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:27:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A Missouri appeals court has thrown out a $72 million award to a woman who claimed... More >>
5 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:19:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
TONGANOXIE, Kan. (AP) — Authorities have arrested a man and found three sisters whose disappearance in August from their Kansas... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:09:00 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A man has been charged with shooting a St. Louis police detective in the shoulder last... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:02:35 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Authorities say deputies have shot and wounded a man after he pointed a gun at them in... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:55:26 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA (AP) — The University of Missouri is hiring the top Missouri state senator's chief of staff to be the... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:50:49 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Missouri House Ethics Committee is reviewing a complaint against a lawmaker who called for... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:44:00 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
CARUTHERSVILLE (AP) — Authorities are searching for two inmates who escaped Sunday from the Pemiscot County jail. The St.... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:31:27 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Police records show there has been an unprecedented spike in gun thefts in Kansas City, Missouri.... More >>
8 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:17:12 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Boone County Sherrif's Department will conduct DWI saturation patrols from October 16 to October 23. Deputies... More >>
10 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:00:00 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Jefferson City inspectors have issued more than 3,000 property violations so far in 2017, and a new... More >>
13 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:31:00 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA- A semi truck crashed over a guard rail on U-63 by E. Friendship Church Rd. late Monday night. ... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, October 16 2017 Oct 16, 2017 Monday, October 16, 2017 11:57:00 PM CDT October 16, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - A crash on Highway 63 South left two drivers in the hospital Monday night. The crash happened... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, October 16 2017 Oct 16, 2017 Monday, October 16, 2017 11:50:00 PM CDT October 16, 2017 in News

KOMU 8 News @ 5