Tyree Byndom Rises from Delinquent to Award Winner

3 years 3 months 4 days ago February 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013 Monday, February 18 2013 Monday, February 18, 2013 7:03:00 PM CST in News
By: Allie Hinds

COLUMBIA- "Martin Luther King Jr. stated, ‘Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.' Anyone who knows Tyree Byndom can tell you he is not a silent man," Mayor Bob McDavid said at the 16th annual Columbia Values Diversity Awards.

Silence is never something Tyree Byndom, winner of this year's Columbia Values Diversity Award, has struggled with. He hosts three radio shows back to back on community radio station KOPN every Saturday from 2-6pm. Byndom worked with the National Society of Black Engineers to start after-school tutoring programs in Columbia. He's also involved with the Minority Men's Network, the Everyone Eats Program, PedNet's Unite for Healthy Neighborhoods, and Columbia's Stop the Violence campaign.

Byndom moved his family to Columbia's First Ward neighborhood so he can be an active and involved presence there. He brought back the Douglass Park Neighborhood Association after 11 years of nonexistence.

But the first time Byndom moved to Columbia's First Ward, getting out was all Byndom wanted to do.

When Byndom was nine years old, his mother Debra Gentry, moved Byndom and his brother to Columbia to escape the violence of St. Louis.

"When I felt like St. Louis wasn't safe, I left because I watched every friend I had die," Gentry said.

She watched not only friends die, but loved ones too. "When I learned that [Byndom's father] was shot, I was 9 months pregnant," Gentry said. "He died the day Tyree was supposed to be born."

Gentry was 14 at the time. She put herself through school and got her college degree while raising two boys.

"I did it because I wanted to be an example to them. I was the first one in the family to earn a bachelor's degree. I just wanted to let them know if you think it, you can do it period," Gentry said.

When Gentry and her boys moved to Columbia, it wasn't an easy transition.

Byndom ended up at the Juvenile Justice Center, and a few years later despite his mother's push to go to college, he joined the Marines.

"You know for me it was my way to get out of [Columbia]. That's just the reality of it. A lot of my friends were getting locked up," Byndom said.

"I feel a person has to grow and the only way they'll grow is if you allow them to. You have to let them go because then when they come back it's that much sweeter," Gentry said.

But Byndom's return home wasn't as sweet as his mother had hoped. "He was angry. ‘I'll kill you if you look at me, I'll kill you if you step on my shoe.' I said, ‘look son something's wrong,'" Gentry said.

"She basically said what do you want to do. Then after that she said you have to choose what mark you're going to leave on the earth," Byndom said. "I got to the point where I started asking myself 'what's my purpose?' 'What am I going to do?' 'What am I trying to accomplish?'"

In 2001, Byndom was asked to host a radio show on KOPN. He said that show helped show him his purpose in the community.

"It's up to us no matter what our differences are, no matter what problems we have with each other to come together to find some goal to create some type of change for our kids," Byndom said.

Gentry created a change for her kids and now Byndom is trying to create a change for Columbia.

"At a certain point it started to click of how much time and investment she put into me," Byndom said.

Now, every Saturday at 5pm Gentry and her husband Greg join Byndom to host Kore Issues on KOPN. They talk about their lives, their stories, their issues and engage with listeners as they call in to do the same.

"I'm very proud of him... It's really nice for a community to recognize a person that is trying to be different, trying to make a difference, caring about his community, caring about somebody other then himself," Gentry said.

To find out more about Byndom and the organization's he's involved with click here.

PULASKI - Only one 911 line is operational at the Pulaski County Call Center after a lightning strike damaged the... More >>
2 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 10:12:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Food Bank of Central and Northeast Missouri said it has seen an increase in people needing food... More >>
3 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 9:10:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - MU School of Medicine research revealed that factors other than mental illness could lead to criminal acts of... More >>
4 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 8:11:00 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A Kansas City Fire Department investigation attributes the deaths of two firefighters at least partly on... More >>
4 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:37:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Charges were filed against a driver in relation to a police chase in Jefferson City on Tuesday.... More >>
5 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:57:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Department of Economic Development (MDED) named Boone County the fastest-growing county in the state of Missouri... More >>
6 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:56:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The next time drivers head down Grindstone Parkway in Columbia, they may notice a sign telling them to... More >>
6 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:39:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Auditor Nicole Galloway said a state board created to advocate for small businesses against government... More >>
6 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:38:00 PM CDT in News
REPUBLIC (AP) — A southwestern Missouri prosecutor said a police officer acted in self-defense when he shot and killed an... More >>
8 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:02:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Latest on the St. Louis shooting death of an 8-month-old boy and the search for... More >>
8 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:50:00 PM CDT in News
CAPE GIRARDEAU (AP) — A former Missouri man serving a 20-year sentence for killing his estranged wife and burying her... More >>
8 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:46:42 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – As part of an effort to normalize relations between the United States and Cuba, Missouri Governor Jay Nixon... More >>
8 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:41:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – Beef prices are decreasing. This comes just in time for Memorial Day weekend. According to the Bureau... More >>
8 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:40:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Supreme Court judges say the state doesn't owe two retired judges who later asked for... More >>
9 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:05:08 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Missouri Supreme Court has upheld two laws that limit the ability of local governments to... More >>
9 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 2:45:04 PM CDT in News
HALLSVILLE – The 2016 Bianchi Cup Action Pistol Championship started Tuesday, attracting competitive shooters from across the world to mid-Missouri.... More >>
9 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 2:35:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Missouri violent and property crime rates are both higher than the national average. The office of the... More >>
10 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:52:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — Columbia is set to become one of the first communities in the country to join a... More >>
10 hours ago May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016 Tuesday, May 24 2016 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:32:16 PM CDT in News

Late Night with Seth Meyers