Tyree Byndom Rises from Delinquent to Award Winner

4 years 6 months 1 day ago Monday, February 18 2013 Feb 18, 2013 Monday, February 18, 2013 7:03:00 PM CST February 18, 2013 in News
By: Allie Hinds

COLUMBIA- "Martin Luther King Jr. stated, ‘Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.' Anyone who knows Tyree Byndom can tell you he is not a silent man," Mayor Bob McDavid said at the 16th annual Columbia Values Diversity Awards.

Silence is never something Tyree Byndom, winner of this year's Columbia Values Diversity Award, has struggled with. He hosts three radio shows back to back on community radio station KOPN every Saturday from 2-6pm. Byndom worked with the National Society of Black Engineers to start after-school tutoring programs in Columbia. He's also involved with the Minority Men's Network, the Everyone Eats Program, PedNet's Unite for Healthy Neighborhoods, and Columbia's Stop the Violence campaign.

Byndom moved his family to Columbia's First Ward neighborhood so he can be an active and involved presence there. He brought back the Douglass Park Neighborhood Association after 11 years of nonexistence.

But the first time Byndom moved to Columbia's First Ward, getting out was all Byndom wanted to do.

When Byndom was nine years old, his mother Debra Gentry, moved Byndom and his brother to Columbia to escape the violence of St. Louis.

"When I felt like St. Louis wasn't safe, I left because I watched every friend I had die," Gentry said.

She watched not only friends die, but loved ones too. "When I learned that [Byndom's father] was shot, I was 9 months pregnant," Gentry said. "He died the day Tyree was supposed to be born."

Gentry was 14 at the time. She put herself through school and got her college degree while raising two boys.

"I did it because I wanted to be an example to them. I was the first one in the family to earn a bachelor's degree. I just wanted to let them know if you think it, you can do it period," Gentry said.

When Gentry and her boys moved to Columbia, it wasn't an easy transition.

Byndom ended up at the Juvenile Justice Center, and a few years later despite his mother's push to go to college, he joined the Marines.

"You know for me it was my way to get out of [Columbia]. That's just the reality of it. A lot of my friends were getting locked up," Byndom said.

"I feel a person has to grow and the only way they'll grow is if you allow them to. You have to let them go because then when they come back it's that much sweeter," Gentry said.

But Byndom's return home wasn't as sweet as his mother had hoped. "He was angry. ‘I'll kill you if you look at me, I'll kill you if you step on my shoe.' I said, ‘look son something's wrong,'" Gentry said.

"She basically said what do you want to do. Then after that she said you have to choose what mark you're going to leave on the earth," Byndom said. "I got to the point where I started asking myself 'what's my purpose?' 'What am I going to do?' 'What am I trying to accomplish?'"

In 2001, Byndom was asked to host a radio show on KOPN. He said that show helped show him his purpose in the community.

"It's up to us no matter what our differences are, no matter what problems we have with each other to come together to find some goal to create some type of change for our kids," Byndom said.

Gentry created a change for her kids and now Byndom is trying to create a change for Columbia.

"At a certain point it started to click of how much time and investment she put into me," Byndom said.

Now, every Saturday at 5pm Gentry and her husband Greg join Byndom to host Kore Issues on KOPN. They talk about their lives, their stories, their issues and engage with listeners as they call in to do the same.

"I'm very proud of him... It's really nice for a community to recognize a person that is trying to be different, trying to make a difference, caring about his community, caring about somebody other then himself," Gentry said.

To find out more about Byndom and the organization's he's involved with click here.

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Missouri is preparing for its second execution of 2017, even as condemned inmate Marcellus Williams continues... More >>
3 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:30:13 AM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA — Thousands of people traveled to Columbia and the surrounding cities to view a once in a lifetime event,... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:28:00 AM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia City Council met Monday to get rid of a proposal for a contracted event designed to... More >>
12 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 10:04:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The general public listened to the proposed 2018 Jefferson City Fiscal Budget for the first time at... More >>
14 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 7:56:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Construction workers are wrapping up the building expansion on the Columbia Boys and Girls Club. The Boys... More >>
15 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 7:04:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
FULTON - A car theft in Fulton led to a wreck that left three hospitalized Monday afternoon. According to... More >>
COLUMBIA - Columbia’s city council held its first of three public hearings for the fiscal year 2018 Annual Budget Monday... More >>
16 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 6:08:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – Jefferson City eclipse events officially ended Monday evening and, according to Jefferson City Convention and Visitors Bureau... More >>
16 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 5:53:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Gasps and cheers went up from crowds from around the world gathered across mid-Missouri for the total solar... More >>
18 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:44:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The total solar eclipse lasted for only a few short minutes, but the anticipation of the rare... More >>
18 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:39:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
BOONVILLE – Eclipse viewers gathered at the Boonville Airport to watch the total solar eclipse in a point of 100... More >>
18 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:28:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri began classes Monday with the second highest retention rate in the university's history, according... More >>
18 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:27:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Viewers throughout mid-Missouri sent in photos and video documenting the solar eclipse that swept across the state Monday.... More >>
19 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 2:57:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in Eclipse Events
ST. JOSEPH (AP) — Two men face felony charges after shots were fired at police during a vehicle pursuit in... More >>
20 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 1:55:15 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
CHILLCOTHE (AP) — Authorities are investigating after an officer was involved in a shooting in northern Missouri. The St.... More >>
20 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 1:43:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Authorities are investigating after an off-duty officer was killed and a woman was wounded at... More >>
20 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 1:31:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
LEE'S SUMMIT (AP) — Police in suburban Kansas City are on the hunt for a man accused of stealing a... More >>
20 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 1:19:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Attorneys for a condemned Missouri inmate warn that the state is preparing to execute a potentially... More >>
21 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 12:51:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News

7:00a