Tyree Byndom Rises from Delinquent to Award Winner

3 years 4 months 1 week ago February 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013 Monday, February 18 2013 Monday, February 18, 2013 7:03:00 PM CST in News
By: Allie Hinds

COLUMBIA- "Martin Luther King Jr. stated, ‘Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.' Anyone who knows Tyree Byndom can tell you he is not a silent man," Mayor Bob McDavid said at the 16th annual Columbia Values Diversity Awards.

Silence is never something Tyree Byndom, winner of this year's Columbia Values Diversity Award, has struggled with. He hosts three radio shows back to back on community radio station KOPN every Saturday from 2-6pm. Byndom worked with the National Society of Black Engineers to start after-school tutoring programs in Columbia. He's also involved with the Minority Men's Network, the Everyone Eats Program, PedNet's Unite for Healthy Neighborhoods, and Columbia's Stop the Violence campaign.

Byndom moved his family to Columbia's First Ward neighborhood so he can be an active and involved presence there. He brought back the Douglass Park Neighborhood Association after 11 years of nonexistence.

But the first time Byndom moved to Columbia's First Ward, getting out was all Byndom wanted to do.

When Byndom was nine years old, his mother Debra Gentry, moved Byndom and his brother to Columbia to escape the violence of St. Louis.

"When I felt like St. Louis wasn't safe, I left because I watched every friend I had die," Gentry said.

She watched not only friends die, but loved ones too. "When I learned that [Byndom's father] was shot, I was 9 months pregnant," Gentry said. "He died the day Tyree was supposed to be born."

Gentry was 14 at the time. She put herself through school and got her college degree while raising two boys.

"I did it because I wanted to be an example to them. I was the first one in the family to earn a bachelor's degree. I just wanted to let them know if you think it, you can do it period," Gentry said.

When Gentry and her boys moved to Columbia, it wasn't an easy transition.

Byndom ended up at the Juvenile Justice Center, and a few years later despite his mother's push to go to college, he joined the Marines.

"You know for me it was my way to get out of [Columbia]. That's just the reality of it. A lot of my friends were getting locked up," Byndom said.

"I feel a person has to grow and the only way they'll grow is if you allow them to. You have to let them go because then when they come back it's that much sweeter," Gentry said.

But Byndom's return home wasn't as sweet as his mother had hoped. "He was angry. ‘I'll kill you if you look at me, I'll kill you if you step on my shoe.' I said, ‘look son something's wrong,'" Gentry said.

"She basically said what do you want to do. Then after that she said you have to choose what mark you're going to leave on the earth," Byndom said. "I got to the point where I started asking myself 'what's my purpose?' 'What am I going to do?' 'What am I trying to accomplish?'"

In 2001, Byndom was asked to host a radio show on KOPN. He said that show helped show him his purpose in the community.

"It's up to us no matter what our differences are, no matter what problems we have with each other to come together to find some goal to create some type of change for our kids," Byndom said.

Gentry created a change for her kids and now Byndom is trying to create a change for Columbia.

"At a certain point it started to click of how much time and investment she put into me," Byndom said.

Now, every Saturday at 5pm Gentry and her husband Greg join Byndom to host Kore Issues on KOPN. They talk about their lives, their stories, their issues and engage with listeners as they call in to do the same.

"I'm very proud of him... It's really nice for a community to recognize a person that is trying to be different, trying to make a difference, caring about his community, caring about somebody other then himself," Gentry said.

To find out more about Byndom and the organization's he's involved with click here.

COLUMBIA – Just as the Supreme Court struck down the Texas abortion law, the Columbia Planned Parenthood’s abortion license expired.... More >>
6 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:47:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Missouri passed a new law requiring all students entering ninth grade in public, charter, and private schools to... More >>
6 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:40:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY — Some Missouri drivers may see red, white and blue in the form of police lights over the... More >>
7 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:55:00 PM CDT in News
PLATTE CITY (AP) — A Missouri man accused of killing four of his relatives has pleaded not guilty to charges... More >>
7 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:24:00 PM CDT in News
OSAGE BEACH — Starting on July 1, the City of Osage Beach 911 Communications Center will be able to receive... More >>
7 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:04:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — According to Columbia Police Department data, Columbia typically sees an increase in burglaries during July. Spokesperson Bryana... More >>
8 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 11:54:00 AM CDT in News
WARRENSBURG (AP) — The president of the University of Central Missouri has been hospitalized after a bicycle crash in Colorado.... More >>
8 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 11:22:55 AM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A company is trying again to build a power line in Missouri for a multistate wind... More >>
8 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 11:11:28 AM CDT in News
HALLSVILLE — An Endangered Person Advisory has been issued for a Hallsville area woman who was reported missing on Wednesday.... More >>
9 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 10:57:00 AM CDT in News
MOBERLY — Businesses in Moberly are double-checking money as multiple reporters of counterfeit cash are under investigation by local police.... More >>
10 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:08:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — This summer might be a little bit quieter because this year's cicada season, beginning in July, will have... More >>
11 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:45:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Low enrollment and more dorms open than needed has caused the University of Missouri to add Respect Residence... More >>
11 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:13:05 AM CDT in News
SEDALIA - One person was arrested Thursday in connection with a shooting in Sedalia that left two injured. The... More >>
11 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:08:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Welcome Home Inc. broke ground on mid-Missouri's only emergency homeless shelter for veterans Thursday morning. Located off... More >>
12 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:55:00 AM CDT in News
JOPLIN (AP) — A southwest Missouri youth sports league is working to rebuild after a former leader embezzled tens of... More >>
12 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:27:25 AM CDT in News
CAPE GIRARDEAU (AP) — This Fourth of July will be extra special for Southeast Missouri State University president Carlos Vargas-Aburto... More >>
14 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 5:36:38 AM CDT in News
HALLSVILLE – The Hallsville school board approved an approximate $430,000 in budget cuts Thursday night at the Intermediate School at... More >>
14 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 5:26:00 AM CDT in News
MONROE COUNTY - Two men broke into a Monroe County home just south of Madison and tied up the residents... More >>
14 hours ago June 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016 Thursday, June 30 2016 Thursday, June 30, 2016 5:20:00 AM CDT in News

2016 U.S. Summer Olympic Trials