Undefeated Battle football dedicates season to one it lost

4 months 2 weeks 5 days ago October 09, 2016 Oct 9, 2016 Sunday, October 09 2016 Sunday, October 09, 2016 9:08:00 AM CDT in Top Stories
By: Tyler Murry, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

COLUMBIA — The Battle Spartans have been flawless on the field winning every single game this season including a 40-33 victory over the rival Jefferson City Jays.

Despite all the wins, it's hard not to recognize one major loss.

"I couldn't hold back the tears, and not that I needed to hold them back, but I was trying to stay strong for all these guys," Battle Head Coach Justin Conyers said.

Assistant Coach Jon Dinter battled brain cancer since 2010. This past February, the tumor returned, and it was deemed inopporable just a month ago. He passed away in late September at the age of 32 around family and friends.

"I received a phone call from my wife in tears telling me that he had passed. It was very humbling and very difficult to swallow. "It was almost surreal, because you keep expecting him to come to practice and walk out, and he's not here," Conyers said.

Battle Wide Receiver Jaevon McQuitty said, "I mean I was kind of sad when I heard he was sick, but like when he passed, I wasn't sad. I was just really angry. He was a good man, and you know he was dealt some bad cards, but he just did his best, and it kind of made me mad that out of all people it was him."

"It kind of broke my heart," Running Back Brennen DeMarco said. "I didn't expect it to happen so soon."

Players said Dinter was a family man and always put those he cared about before himself. On the football field, he was a man of a few words. However, McQuitty and others said he meant it.

Running Back Brennen DeMarco said, "I came off, and I was mad I didn't make the play, and coach Dinter came up to me and he patted me on my back and goes you know what you need to do and I'm like yeah I know."

Star Quarterback Brevinn Tyler agreed noting Dinter's knack for knowing exactly what to say and when to say it.

"Since 8th grade...since I was their age, every fall he's been there. It's just sad knowing that's not going to happen again, and that's not going to be the same," Tyler said.

"He never missed a practice. He never missed a beat. He loved to be out here, and that's one of the things that made him so special," Conyers said.

The community outreach for the Dinter family has come from all over. The community created a GoFundMe for Dinter's family that raised almost 32-thousand dollars toward its goal. The team and family members will also host a benefit Oct. 9 to raise money and celebrate the life of Jon Dinter.

On the field, Battle had a game to play the week of Dinter's death, and Conyers remembered just how difficult it was to take the field.

"My energy was down. I couldn't focus real well, so how can you expect you know 14-18 year-old men to focus," Conyers said.

The players said keeping emotions in check was a tough task.

Tyler said, "I think just keeping things in check and controlling things we can control. We just had to focus on winning the game."

The team stayed focused as Tyler connected with McQuitty for a touchdown on the first drive of the game. The team went on to win against Hickman on the same field the Kewpies returned to after losing a coach of their own, Arnel Monroe, to remain perfect.

"We've got something bigger than ourselves to play for right now," Conyers said.

The team returned home for the first home game against Truman since Dinter's passing. They too would not be enough to stop the Spartans as Battle won a thriller in overtime.

Tyler said "We just have to focus on winning. That's all we can do."

Conyers said, "He never let cancer define who he was, and I think that's probably the biggest thing I learned from his is you know even though the cards he was dealt, a lot of people could have laid down, but he chose to fight."

The team will also where "JD" helmet stickers and grey throughout the year, which is the color for those battling brain cancer, for the rest of the season.

Fight, inspiration, perseverance, funny memories, whatever you want to call it, it works. Battle beat rival Jefferson City and still remains undefeated in its search for a state championship for Dinter.

Photos courtesy of family and friends of the Dinters and Battle High School

COLUMBIA - "Not enough time" is one of the most frequently-used reasons to not exercise. What if I told you... More >>
1 hour ago February 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017 Monday, February 27 2017 Monday, February 27, 2017 12:59:00 PM CST in News
ST. JAMES (AP) — An elderly husband and wife are dead after a head-on crash in central Missouri. The... More >>
4 hours ago February 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017 Monday, February 27 2017 Monday, February 27, 2017 9:46:22 AM CST in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A 32-year-old St. Louis native is a key player in President Donald Trump's White House. ... More >>
4 hours ago February 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017 Monday, February 27 2017 Monday, February 27, 2017 9:43:50 AM CST in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City police say one of the victims of a double shooting has died. ... More >>
7 hours ago February 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017 Monday, February 27 2017 Monday, February 27, 2017 7:07:00 AM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY- Republican lawmakers continue at odds over the Real ID Act . One side of the argument seeks to... More >>
14 hours ago February 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017 Sunday, February 26 2017 Sunday, February 26, 2017 11:30:00 PM CST in Top Stories
COLUMBIA - As President Donald Trump prepares an alternate version of a temporary travel ban on refugees and members of... More >>
20 hours ago February 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017 Sunday, February 26 2017 Sunday, February 26, 2017 6:00:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA - Planned Parenthood opponents are planning a month of protests after a march that drew between 50 and 100... More >>
20 hours ago February 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017 Sunday, February 26 2017 Sunday, February 26, 2017 5:57:00 PM CST in Continuous News
ST. CHARLES (AP) — A Missouri woman has pleaded guilty to neglect after authorities say she left her 2-year-old boy... More >>
20 hours ago February 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017 Sunday, February 26 2017 Sunday, February 26, 2017 5:30:30 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA- Local dog boarding facilities are amping up their luxury of care for your pet. Several big city boarding... More >>
1 day ago February 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017 Sunday, February 26 2017 Sunday, February 26, 2017 11:23:11 AM CST in News
HOUSE SPRINGS, Mo. (AP) — Authorities say they've arrested a suspect in connection with a weekend shooting death south of... More >>
1 day ago February 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017 Sunday, February 26 2017 Sunday, February 26, 2017 9:37:00 AM CST in News
COLUMBIA - Residents of older homes in Columbia could be eligible for free water testing for lead. The My... More >>
1 day ago February 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017 Sunday, February 26 2017 Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:58:00 AM CST in News
LACLEDE COUNTY — A man accused of assaulting and sexually abusing his 5-month-old daughter nearly eight years ago finally has... More >>
1 day ago February 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017 Saturday, February 25 2017 Saturday, February 25, 2017 11:02:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA — United Airlines flight schedules posted to its website Saturday night showed two new flights out of Columbia Regional... More >>
1 day ago February 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017 Saturday, February 25 2017 Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:48:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA — U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., announced Saturday that his local office space will be relocated from its current... More >>
1 day ago February 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017 Saturday, February 25 2017 Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:11:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA — This weekend Missourians came together to give the Loos family a home makeover. Rhyan Loos, 7, was... More >>
1 day ago February 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017 Saturday, February 25 2017 Saturday, February 25, 2017 7:21:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA — There is a significant "values gap" between employers and the millennials who work for them, according to a... More >>
1 day ago February 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017 Saturday, February 25 2017 Saturday, February 25, 2017 7:05:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA — Boone County experienced at least a dozen fires Feb. 18, a number that did not surprise fire officials.... More >>
1 day ago February 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017 Saturday, February 25 2017 Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:00:00 PM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY — People from all over mid-Missouri gathered at the Miller Performing Arts Center Saturday to listen to local... More >>
1 day ago February 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017 Saturday, February 25 2017 Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:00:00 PM CST in News

The Dr. Oz Show