Unit catches on fire in Boone County duplex
BOONE COUNTY - A fire that originated in the refrigerator of a duplex at the 7200 block of Wade School Road damaged a family's kitchen on Thursday night.
According to Gale Blomunkamp, assistant chief of the Boone County Fire District, people called 911 around 9:30 about the fire.
He said the fire was isolated to the kitchen and was moving up the wall. Blomunkamp said there was "quite a bit of smoke and heat damage," but it only took 50 gallons of water to put it out.
"They were actually sitting around the table eating and one of the children noticed the sparks and heat and smoke coming from behind the refrigerator," he said.
The damage is estimated at $15,000 to $20,000 dollars.
The family living in the other unit of the duplex are not displaced by the fire, but the family living in the unit with the damage will receive help from the American Red Cross. The fire did not cause any injuries.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: