UPDATE: Structure Fire in Eugene Deemed a Total Loss
EUGENE - Fire officials confirmed to KOMU Friday afternoon that the structure fire on Miller Street in Eugene consumed the entire building. Investigators ruled the two-story house was "a total loss," according to Mike Rackers of the Cole County Fire Protection District. He said the Fire Marshall determined the loss to be more than $700,000 for the 8,000 square foot property.
Officials say the blaze was accidental and began in the laundry room near the washer and dryer. 20 firemen arrived on scene, with units from Cole County, Jefferson City, Moreau and Russellivlle assisting.
Rackers said the three people in the house at the time got out safely, and their insurance company was on the scene to begin the company's assessment.
American Red Cross volunteers are assisting three members of a Eugene family who lost their home Friday in a fire.
Volunteers provided the family with resources to purchase clothing and food.
Family members also received comfort kits, which contain personal hygiene items, and a three-night stay in a local motel.
The Red Cross provided canteen services for firefighters responding to the scene.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: