Veteran celebrates Memorial Day weekend with his eyes on the sky

4 weeks 2 days 10 hours ago Friday, May 25 2018 May 25, 2018 Friday, May 25, 2018 3:50:00 PM CDT May 25, 2018 in News
By: David Estrada, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA – After serving eight years in the United States Air Force, the passion of this veteran for sky travel hasn't faded.

"If you are bit by that flying bug, it never goes away," Ron Sharek said.

It was that passion for flying that encouraged him to join the USAF.

"I've always wanted to fly, and the Air Force was the greatest way to do it," he said. "I entered flight school at Sheppard Air Force Base, which is in northern Texas, that was in 1968."

During his time in the USAF, Sharek spent a year in Vietnam where he flew 233 combat missions in an F-100.

He said family goals made him reconsider the Air Force.

"Kids were little and we wanted to provide them a little more stable life, so I selected to get out," he said. "But I really, really enjoyed the Air Force and it's always a big soft spot in my heart for our military."

After retiring from service, he became a commercial pilot for two and a half years.

Although he doesn't fly anymore, Sharek gets to enjoy his passion for airplanes every year during Memorial Day weekend.

Sharek has been one of the honor guests in the Annual Memorial Day Weekend Salute to Veterans Airshow for more than five years in a row.

"I feel like I represent all the guys that I was flying with who didn't come home," he said. "I was in some missions where I was the only one that came back, of course they were killed in action."

The airshow reaches its 30th edition this year. The media chair for "Salute to Veterans," Jessica Houston, said their goal is to honor veterans in the U.S.

"It's an all-military show, we don't have any civilian-type aircrafts," she said. "It goes with our mission, you know, we want to honor the military members for what they've done, and so we want to do that through military aircraft."

Sharek said very year he comes to the airshow he gets jealous about the pilots flying for the crowd. As a matter of fact, he said he wishes he had performed in an airshow.

"Every time I see them go zooming by I say, well I wish I was in there with them,” he said.

He added seeing pilots perform brings to him "a collision on emotions."

"When I was over in Vietnam, it brings back a lot of sad memories, I am getting goose bumps right now," Sharek said. "You know, flying is some of a dangerous situation, especially when they are shooting at you."

Houston said throughout her years working with the organization of the airshow she has seen the meaning it has for veterans.

"I've heard so many different stories, you'll have a veteran you maybe they haven't seen the plane that they flew since they flew it. And they'll come to the tarmac, and they'll see one of those planes, and just you just seem their memories flowing through their mind,” she said. "Some of them start crying, and usually they're there with families, and they'd be able to tell those stories."

Sharek said although he didn't come from a big military family, he decided to give his service to the country.

"I love this country, and I just felt that I had to do something to do my part," he said. "I am very proud to have done my part, as small as it is."

He said the camaraderie and the fellowship of the Air Force is what he misses the most from his days in service.

"You get a tight bond in the military," he said.

While none of his two children decided to join the Air Force, Sharek has a special hope for his grandchildren.

"I would hope that they have a recognition of the service, I would hope that more than serving that they had a greater respect for the people who gave them all the benefits that we have," he said.

As for the airshow, Sharek said as long as Mary Posner, founder of “Salute to Veterans,” continues to invite him he will continue to be part of this celebration of the service of veterans.

"I think it's the greatest event that I attend of this magnitude," he said. "This is really, really an honor to be a part of this organization."

TIPTON - Some Tipton residents are working together to run their own hog farm. This is in response to... More >>
6 hours ago Sunday, June 24 2018 Jun 24, 2018 Sunday, June 24, 2018 7:46:00 PM CDT June 24, 2018 in News
BEAVER DAM, Wis. (AP) — Sprint car driver Jason Johnson has died following a crash at Beaver Dam Raceway in... More >>
10 hours ago Sunday, June 24 2018 Jun 24, 2018 Sunday, June 24, 2018 3:52:00 PM CDT June 24, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A 17-year-old from Jefferson City will be competing at the CrossFit Games in Madison, Wisconsin in August.... More >>
11 hours ago Sunday, June 24 2018 Jun 24, 2018 Sunday, June 24, 2018 2:20:00 PM CDT June 24, 2018 in Sports
(CNN) - Partial results in Turkey's snap elections put President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his party in the lead, lifting... More >>
11 hours ago Sunday, June 24 2018 Jun 24, 2018 Sunday, June 24, 2018 1:58:00 PM CDT June 24, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Bikers Against Child Abuse group met with children to discuss past altercations with abusers in their... More >>
16 hours ago Sunday, June 24 2018 Jun 24, 2018 Sunday, June 24, 2018 9:04:00 AM CDT June 24, 2018 in Top Stories
COLUMBIA - Power was restored at approximately 9:00 AM CT Sunday morning for most customers in the affected areas. ... More >>
17 hours ago Sunday, June 24 2018 Jun 24, 2018 Sunday, June 24, 2018 8:53:00 AM CDT June 24, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - MU has saved money and reduced emissions through its long-term energy efficiency programs. The university has reduced... More >>
17 hours ago Sunday, June 24 2018 Jun 24, 2018 Sunday, June 24, 2018 8:20:00 AM CDT June 24, 2018 in Top Stories
ST. LOUIS - An attorney is suing a nonprofit group connected to former Gov. Eric Greitens for its records. ... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 9:52:00 PM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — Outside a sprawling mall in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, young single men and women walk... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 6:21:17 PM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - One softball player is setting her team up for success before she leaves for college. On Saturday,... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 4:54:00 PM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The discussion on community policing continues to ripple through Columbia after a citywide meeting Saturday. The City... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 3:31:00 PM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City police are investigating the shooting death of a man near a house in... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 3:12:00 PM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
(CNN) -- White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said she was kicked out of a Virginia restaurant by its owner... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 2:47:00 PM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA (AP) — The wife of a former University of Missouri football coach is helping her husband remember the details... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 2:18:00 PM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA – Reaching all generations was the goal of one Columbia woman on Saturday. Cheryl Miller is the president... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 1:03:00 PM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
CAMDEN COUNTY - Two teenage boys suffered serious injuries in an ATV accident Friday night, according to the Missouri State... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 9:34:00 AM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A national gathering in St. Louis in September will focus on election security. Missouri... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 7:54:00 AM CDT June 23, 2018 in News
FULTON - The city of Fulton kicked off their annual Street Festival in style Friday with live music, a carnival,... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, June 23 2018 Jun 23, 2018 Saturday, June 23, 2018 2:23:00 AM CDT June 23, 2018 in News