Voluntary Action Center Unveils Calendar of Community Leaders
COLUMBIA - Members of the Columbia Voluntary Action Center unveiled the community leaders featured in a 2014 "Hearts for Service" calendar. The campaign began in May when the twelve leaders had until Aug. 15 to fund raise, and every one dollar raised counted as one vote.
The cover of the calendar featured the winner of the competition, Michele Spry. Spry is the CEO of Midway Electric, Inc. The company contracts electrical needs in the mid-Missouri area.
"I didn't even know exactly what services the center provides, so I think this is a great way to get the word out there," Spry said.
The Voluntary Action Center raised $18, 367 from donations alone. Their goal was set at $17,000.
"It goes to support all of the services that we do," said Nick Foster, executive director of the VAC. "From providing support for someone to do a co-pay on their prescription, to helping someone put gas in their car to get to work, to all the seasonal things we do and the things we do day-to-day."
The competition began with the Spring Into Action campaign in April when the twelve leaders had until August to campaign and raise money. The executive director of the VAC said the next period to raise money will probably be shorter.
The calendar also features other leaders such as Mayor Bob McDavid and superintendent of Columbia Public Schools Chris Belcher. Each leader is posed for a month representing something they do.
Foster said he thinks the calendar helps the community see the faces of the community leaders, and spread the word about what the VAC does.
The calendar did not include any leaders from the Columbia law enforcement. Foster said this was not intentional and everyone has a chance to be on the calendar.
"Everybody has a network," Foster said. "A lot of us don't give ourselves enough credit for how much of a network we have."
LG Patterson, a photographer for Inside Columbia, volunteered to take the photos and Foster said Patterson will take the photos for next year's calendar as well.
The complete calendar includes:
- Bob Burchard, Director of Athletics and Men's Basketball coach at Columbia College
- Kat Cunningham, President of Moresource Inc.
- Don Stamper, lobbyist at Stamper Consulting
- Paul Land, owner of Plaza Commercial Realty
- Vicky Riback Wilson, daughter of VAC founder Hazel Riback
- Teresa R. Madely, President and CEO of the Central Missouri Region Commerce Bank
- Joe Moseley, Vice President of Public Affairs at Shelter Insurance
- Cathy Scroggs, MU Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs
- Mayor Bob McDavid
- Michele Spry, President of Midway Electric
- Dr. Chris Belcher, Superintendent of Columbia Public Schools
- Chris Kellogg, KPLA's Kellog and Company