Woman Regains Mobility After Voluntarily Amputating Her Foot

3 years ago December 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012 Monday, December 10 2012 Monday, December 10, 2012 3:55:55 PM CST in News
By: Emily Spain

COLUMBIA - Walking the halls of Parkade Elementary School, Judy Berna reunites with her childhood memories and her earliest fears.

"I remember feeling not like everybody else, but wanting to be like everybody else," Berna said recalling her years spent at the school.

While at Parkade, Judy learned at a young age that life isn't always fair.

"This was definitely when I was in these halls, the transition that I realized that it was different. It was something that I was going to have forever."

Doctors diagnosed Judy with spina bifida when she was born, leading her parents to take her to Boston Children's Hospital for treatment.

"It's a lot of uncertainty, I had never heard about this type of thing," Judy's dad Leon Johnson said. "We didn't know how to interpret it and how to go from here."

Spina bifida is the incomplete development of the spinal cord, coverings or spine. Doctor's tried to fix Judy's case when she was a baby.

"Sent me home and said best of luck and it seemed like everything went great," Judy said. It wasn't until she came to Parkade, that she first noticed her left foot start to curl in the fifth grade.

"Always when I had a growth spurt, the spinal cord was blocking the signals," Judy said. "I couldn't go do all the things I wanted to do."

The disease left her foot useless, curling more with every growth spurt. Judy used crutches and a leg brace to get around. "I still can't remember what it feels like to run," she said.

So, Judy got used to watching life from the sidelines. "You know I had four kids who were middle school down to five and it just wasn't fair that I didn't get to go do things."

After nearly three decades of letting her foot step in the way of her mobility, she decided to take action.

"I really started to think maybe I need to think about amputation, I mean that was drastic."

Sounds pretty crazy, right?

"I think it's so shocking that you don't have a reaction," Judy's dad said.

In 2004, at the age of 37, Judy decided to replace her less-than-perfect foot, with a prosthetic state-of-the-art one.

"Mine is a back wards story that I was thrilled to have it done, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It meant I got to start over," Judy said.

Doctor's were skeptical of what Judy proposed, calling her foot healthy, but she fought for one that worked. A doctor in Utah ended up amputating her deformed foot just above the ankle near the mid-calf, leaving enough room for her prosthetic foot to fit.

"I always say it's my hero because I can do everything I want to do."

Since the surgery, Judy's been skiing, hiking and bike riding, no longer disabled by a deteriorating limb.

"I clicked this leg on and it was amazing, like I just felt like this is what I've waited for," Judy said.

A 37-year wait, to finally step off the sidelines and into a new walk of life.

"I felt like I was finally one whole piece," she said.

Judy also wrote a book about her experience titled, "Just One Foot: How Amputation Cured My Disability." For more information on Judy or her book, click here.

BOONE COUNTY - Boone County Fire Protection District responded to a fire outside of Hallsville Monday night. It happened... More >>
4 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 11:38:22 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Republican-led Missouri Senate for the first time in years debated a bill to repeal the... More >>
7 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 8:37:24 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Emerging Issues Committee heard a bill on Monday that would establish statewide regulations for "transportation network... More >>
11 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 4:07:03 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - In light of International Epilepsy Day, MU Healthcare announced the expanded Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU) at Women's and... More >>
8 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 7:48:31 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Eighth graders at the Columbia Independent School (CIS) on North Stadium Boulevard have been studying weather related data... More >>
8 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 7:46:17 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The MU Asian American Association celebrated the Chinese New Year on campus Monday. According to the lunisolar Chinese... More >>
8 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 7:30:17 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY – Disaster survivors will receive $29.2 million grants from the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Individuals and Households Program.... More >>
10 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 5:52:09 PM CST in Continuous News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis utility company is pushing back on the federal government's plan to cut carbon... More >>
10 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 5:18:19 PM CST in Continuous News
CALLAWAY COUNTY – 21-year-old Harley Walls was arrested in St. Peters when he was located in possession of one vehicle... More >>
11 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 4:53:32 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - Two proposals aimed at requiring Missourians to show photo ID before voting are heading to the... More >>
11 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 4:22:37 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The State Historical Society of Missouri (SHSM) held its first time event last Monday to address Thomas Hart... More >>
1 week ago January 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016 Friday, January 29 2016 Friday, January 29, 2016 7:20:03 PM CST in Continuous News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A man convicted of a 1994 homicide in St. Louis is planning to appeal his case... More >>
11 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 3:59:58 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - A proposed bill in the Missouri House would require all schools supported by public funds to recite... More >>
12 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 3:47:04 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The downtown community improvement district (CID) is ready to start the first phase of The Gateways project. ... More >>
12 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 3:32:43 PM CST in Continuous News
FERGUSON (AP) — New estimates show Ferguson's cost of implementing reforms spelled out in a consent agreement with the U.S.... More >>
12 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 3:27:45 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - In a letter to faculty and staff on Monday, MU Interim Chancellor Hank Foley said Daniel Clay, dean... More >>
12 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 3:23:30 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERS ON CITY (AP) — A Missouri lawmaker is pushing for a program that would track prescription drugs and let... More >>
12 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 3:12:32 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY – Morgan Keegan will pay $850,000 for Mamtek securities fraud. Secretary of State Jason Kander announced on... More >>
12 hours ago February 08, 2016 Feb 8, 2016 Monday, February 08 2016 Monday, February 08, 2016 2:55:09 PM CST in Continuous News
Interactive Radar Columbia, MO