Woman Regains Mobility After Voluntarily Amputating Her Foot

4 years 10 months 6 days ago Monday, December 10 2012 Dec 10, 2012 Monday, December 10, 2012 3:55:00 PM CST December 10, 2012 in News
By: Emily Spain

COLUMBIA - Walking the halls of Parkade Elementary School, Judy Berna reunites with her childhood memories and her earliest fears.

"I remember feeling not like everybody else, but wanting to be like everybody else," Berna said recalling her years spent at the school.

While at Parkade, Judy learned at a young age that life isn't always fair.

"This was definitely when I was in these halls, the transition that I realized that it was different. It was something that I was going to have forever."

Doctors diagnosed Judy with spina bifida when she was born, leading her parents to take her to Boston Children's Hospital for treatment.

"It's a lot of uncertainty, I had never heard about this type of thing," Judy's dad Leon Johnson said. "We didn't know how to interpret it and how to go from here."

Spina bifida is the incomplete development of the spinal cord, coverings or spine. Doctor's tried to fix Judy's case when she was a baby.

"Sent me home and said best of luck and it seemed like everything went great," Judy said. It wasn't until she came to Parkade, that she first noticed her left foot start to curl in the fifth grade.

"Always when I had a growth spurt, the spinal cord was blocking the signals," Judy said. "I couldn't go do all the things I wanted to do."

The disease left her foot useless, curling more with every growth spurt. Judy used crutches and a leg brace to get around. "I still can't remember what it feels like to run," she said.

So, Judy got used to watching life from the sidelines. "You know I had four kids who were middle school down to five and it just wasn't fair that I didn't get to go do things."

After nearly three decades of letting her foot step in the way of her mobility, she decided to take action.

"I really started to think maybe I need to think about amputation, I mean that was drastic."

Sounds pretty crazy, right?

"I think it's so shocking that you don't have a reaction," Judy's dad said.

In 2004, at the age of 37, Judy decided to replace her less-than-perfect foot, with a prosthetic state-of-the-art one.

"Mine is a back wards story that I was thrilled to have it done, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It meant I got to start over," Judy said.

Doctor's were skeptical of what Judy proposed, calling her foot healthy, but she fought for one that worked. A doctor in Utah ended up amputating her deformed foot just above the ankle near the mid-calf, leaving enough room for her prosthetic foot to fit.

"I always say it's my hero because I can do everything I want to do."

Since the surgery, Judy's been skiing, hiking and bike riding, no longer disabled by a deteriorating limb.

"I clicked this leg on and it was amazing, like I just felt like this is what I've waited for," Judy said.

A 37-year wait, to finally step off the sidelines and into a new walk of life.

"I felt like I was finally one whole piece," she said.

Judy also wrote a book about her experience titled, "Just One Foot: How Amputation Cured My Disability." For more information on Judy or her book, click here.

NAPA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities have identified the firefighter who was killed when the water transport truck he was driving... More >>
3 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:49:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - In a quiet building tucked behind brick facades and looming trees off Vandiver Drive, the 2018 midterm election... More >>
4 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:04:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill says she didn't object to a bill weakening federal authority to stop... More >>
5 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:12:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri's unemployment has dropped slightly. Department of Economic Development data released Tuesday show the unemployment... More >>
5 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:08:32 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – Jefferson City’s transit system could see new changes soon. The city held a JEFFTRAN System-Wide Assessment... More >>
5 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:02:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Walter Rolley Jr. served in the United States Army for three years during World War II, and Tuesday,... More >>
5 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:53:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Two men were arrested Tuesday morning and accused of possession of illegal drugs and firearms at 505 East... More >>
6 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:20:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia man accused of driving his car into Mizzou Arena over the summer was formally charged Tuesday.... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:09:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - New television or cleaning service? New shoes or lawn care? A new study suggests time-saving purchases make people... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:06:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Many staff members at MU say they aren't happy, especially on the issue of pay. According to... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:01:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — The former city clerk in Walnut Grove was sentenced to a year and a day in federal... More >>
8 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:09:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
FULTON - Westminster College has announced Dr. Fletcher Lamkin will take over as president later this year. Lamkin previously... More >>
9 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:45:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Jefferson City Council approved street repairs for South Lincoln Street after six months of residents dealing... More >>
9 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:30:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - A local committee dedicated another African American Heritage Trail Marker on Tuesday. The Sharp End Heritage Committee... More >>
9 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:53:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- C-SPAN arrived in Jefferson City on Tuesday to meet with local and state politicians and middle school students... More >>
10 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:49:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A federal inmate with end-stage renal disease has been spared the death penalty for his fourth murder... More >>
12 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:27:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A Missouri appeals court has thrown out a $72 million award to a woman who claimed... More >>
12 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:19:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
TONGANOXIE, Kan. (AP) — Authorities have arrested a man and found three sisters whose disappearance in August from their Kansas... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:09:00 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News

12:37a