Woodbine Home in Flames
The fire started in the three-thousand block of Woodbine Drive just west of Forum Boulevard a little after four.
Columbia fire fighters battled the flames by cutting a hole in the roof.The two owners escaped without injury.Fire officials say they contained the fire to one part of the house.Still, officials estimate the damage between 20 and 25-thousand dollars.Neighbors were alarmed when they saw smoke engulfing the neighborhood.
"You could smell it when you came out, there was smoke coming out, not very much at first. Then after a while there was quite a bit coming out," said Joni See a neighbor.
"We don't know if the fireplace was operating at the time to cause embers to go on the wood shingles, but that's one possibility," said Steve Sapp of the Columbia Fire Department.
Fire officials say they are investigating. They are not sure yet what sparked the fire.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: