Crews Battle Boone County Barn Fire

Related Story

BOONE COUNTY - A barn burned to the ground Tuesday on North Barnes Road near Sturgeon. Firefighters said they suspect the fire started from coals not being fully extinguished.

Homeowner Connie Thomas said there was a fire going in an outside wood furnace Monday evening. Thomas said the fire started when she and her boyfriend took some coals out of the stove Tuesday to dump them behind the barn.

"Before I knew it, it was just up in smokes," said Thomas.

Battalion Chief Gale Blomenkamp of the Boone County Fire Protection District said the facts are not surprising considering the weather, including cold 20 mile per hour winds. He said the conditions made the fire more difficult to extinguish.

News