DOJ not guilty announcement was expected by most

Related Story

COLUMBIA - The U.S. Justice Department said today that it will not indict former Ferguson, Missouri police officer Darren Wilson. Wilson shot and killed  unarmed teenage Michael Brown on August 9 of 2015. The shooting led to weeks of protests and led to the destruction of multiple Ferguson businesses.

Wilson had also been cleared by a Missouri grand jury in November and later resigned.

Federal officials concluded that there was no evidence to disprove Wilson's testimony that he feared for his safety. Nor was there proof that Brown's hands were up at the time he was shot. 

One MU graduate student said she doesn't think this will lead to additional protests. "I don't think this decision will strike a mass amount of people to go to the streets, because its not a surprise," Evonnia Woods said.

"I don't think anyone who is really embedded in this issue ever saw this as a stopping point at any point," Woods said." Maybe not protesting or participating in as much direct action but are handling things more politically," Woods said.

The decision in the August 9 shooting had been expected, in part because of the high legal standard needed for a federal civil rights prosecution.

 

News