Fire Marshal says lights caused fire near Eldon

Related Story

MILLER COUNTY - The Division of Fire Safety reported Thursday morning the cause of the fire that burned at 5 Reed Lane Wednesday. Missouri Department of Public Safety Communications Director Mike O'Connell said the investigation showed the fire started in a light fixture on the exterior of the garage and spread through an open garage door into the attic.

Firefighters from Moreau Fire Department and four other local fire protection agencies responded to the fire Wednesday afternoon. Lieutenant Randy Scott said the blaze caused the roof to collapse onto the main floor, causing unsafe conditions for the firefighters inside.

"Due to the extreme heat and conditions, we called in more help," Scott said.

The City of Eldon Fire Department, Lake Ozark Fire Protection District, Rocky Mount Fire Department, and Tuscumbia Fire Protection District were called in to help extinguish the flames.

Homeowner Troy Vieth said only his father was in the home at the time of the incident, and he was evacuated safely. No one was injured, but Scott said most of the main floor and garage was a total loss.

News