Firefighters battle electrical explosion at Boone Hospital

Related Story

COLUMBIA - An electrical fire caused several explosions on the roof of Boone Hospital Wednesday morning. The call came in around 9:30 a.m. at the northeast corner of the hospital at 1600 East Broadway. (See video.)

The Columbia Fire Department closed down Broadway between Old 63 and William Street in order to reach the site. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control within a few minutes. Broadway has since reopened.

The fire did not reach inside of the building and didn't impact patients or hospital staff.

Boone Hospital tweeted that all areas are restored to normal power. The building is stable and damage was minimal. 

Battalion Chief Brad Fraizer said an electrical service failure seems to be the cause of the explosions. Smoke continued to show from the roof for nearly an hour while firefighters worked to put it out. Frazier added there were no injuries reported and that power to the hospital did not go out.

Firefighters were removing brick from the side of the building to ensure there is no residual smoke. 

Several viewers sent KOMU 8 News video and photos of the explosions.

The below video was shared by Breanna Kivett.

The below video was shared by Chris Carnes.

News