UPDATE: Unattended cooking caused fire at East Broadway ApartmentsPosted on 22 January 2019 at 11:25am
COLUMBIA - Firefighters said unattended cooking caused the fire at an apartment complex in central Columbia on Sunday.
The fire happened in the 1700 block of East Broadway shortly before 3 p.m.
Fire crews arrived less than five minutes later and saw heavy smoke and fire coming from a window in one of the apartments. They got the fire under control in about ten minutes, and managed to contain the fire to just the one apartment.
Assistant Fire Marshal Kyle Edwards was dispatched to the scene to perform a fire origin and cause investigation.
He determined the fire started in the kitchen and was the result of unattended cooking. Damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $175,000. The apartment had working smoke alarms.
Eight units from the Columbia Fire Department responded to this call. There were no reported injuries. The occupants are displaced and working with the Red Cross on temporary accommodations.
Most Popular Recent Stories
Cole County man dies in tractor crash Posted on 16 October 2019 at 10:53am
Class-action lawsuit filed in response to Hyvee data breach Posted on 16 October 2019 at 2:31pm
Precautionary boil water advisory issued in Jefferson City Posted on 16 October 2019 at 3:16pm
GM and union reach tentative deal that could end strike Posted on 16 October 2019 at 12:05pm
African American Heritage Trail markers to be unveiled Wednesday night Posted on 16 October 2019 at 4:53am