Battle athlete becomes first CPS student to be a collegiate girl wrestler

11 months 1 week 6 days ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 11:00:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News
By: Sania White, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA - Battle High School senior Taylor Reed is the first girl to go to college as a woman wrestler in Columbia Public School District history.

"It's been life-changing wrestling and being part of a team or the first ever here at Battle or in CPS," Reed said.

Reed signed to Westminster College Tuesday night. She plans to study education and become a teacher.

"That was my number one school before wrestling, and I cried when I got accepted into Westminster a couple months before I even started wrestling. It was a sign when they added girls wrestling this year," Reed said.

Reed started wrestling only nine months ago. She played high school softball for four years, but never received college attention.

"When girls from softball were seniors and they signed, in my mind I thought I would never have that day. I didn't see myself as a great softball player," Reed said.

After a successful season in wrestling, including competing at the state competition, Reed finally had her day.

"It's surreal to have this moment today and actually sign," Reed said.

Amanda Shaw, Reed's mom, wasn't too happy about Reed wrestling at first.

"My first response when she told me she wanted to wrestle was like, 'No way. You're not wrestling with guys.' Taylor's accident prone, so I was like 'Oh no, I can see it now,'" Shaw said.

However, Reed was persistent. Her mom became her biggest supporter and encourages other parents.

"It's scary at first, but you know anybody can do it. My daughter can do it. Your daughter can do it," Shaw said.

The Missouri State High School Activities Association made girls wrestling an official high school sport in May 2018. This is the first year girls have been able to compete on their own wrestling team.

Being the first comes with some challenges. Reed said she struggled to help girls who looked up to her because she was still learning.

"I wish I had the exact answer for them, but at time, I didn't. It pushed me a little more. I wanted to be that person later on in life that will be able to help coach other girls and inspire them to wrestle," Reed said.

Her teammate, Jasmine Westendorf, is a sophomore wrestler who fought back tears during the signing day.

"I really look up to her. It makes me really happy that she tried so hard," Westendorf said.

She said Reed is like a big sister to her. Westendorf hopes to be like Reed.

"I look up to her to be the second girl to sign from Battle High School for wrestling," Westendorf said.

Reed plans to go back to Battle to coach as well.

"I love Battle. I will always be a die hard fan of Battle because it has made me who I am today. I'd love to come back here and work with the amazing people," she said.

She said her main focus in college will be her education.

"I'm still going to have to be a student first," Reed said.

She is looking forward to continuing her wrestling career.

"In college I hope to have the same type of experience I had in high school, but it will be nice because it won't be just for one year. I'll have four years left, which is amazing," Reed said.

Reed received a partial wrestling scholarship to Westminster that will cover the majority of her education.

COLUMBIA (Missourian) - Lucky’s Market will close Tuesday and will later reopen as a Schnucks. Schnucks does not... More >>
5 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 6:07:00 PM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri is asking medical professionals who are not working to join a specialized state team that... More >>
5 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 6:00:00 PM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The state is working on mobilizing more personal protective equipment (PPE) for COVID-19 first responders. Slow... More >>
7 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 3:49:00 PM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A cluster of coronavirus cases have been found at a rehabilitation center in Kansas City, Kansas.... More >>
7 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 3:48:23 PM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
KANSAS CITY (The Kansas City Star) — The search for the body of a Missouri woman presumed to have been... More >>
8 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 3:34:00 PM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The COVID-19 pandemic is defining for the globe what's essential and what things we really can't go without,... More >>
8 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 3:30:00 PM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The City of Columbia is acknowledging the financial hardships individuals and families may be facing during the COVID-19... More >>
8 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 2:56:00 PM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — As state and commercial testing is more available for the Missourians, the number of confirmed cases is rising.... More >>
9 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 2:20:00 PM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA -Dieticians know there are challenges when buying groceries and making meals at home during a statewide "stay-at-home" order. ... More >>
11 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 11:48:00 AM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- People drove up one-by-one to drop off bread on Saturday to help local senior centers. The bread... More >>
12 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 10:45:00 AM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
COLLUMBIA -- Walmart will limit the number of customers who can be in a store at once and scale back... More >>
13 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 9:59:00 AM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
As COVID-19 spreads, KOMU 8 will continue to update you about the impacts on the community. KOMU 8 News... More >>
14 hours ago Saturday, April 04 2020 Apr 4, 2020 Saturday, April 04, 2020 9:00:00 AM CDT April 04, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A former Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper who was driving a boat when a handcuffed... More >>
1 day ago Friday, April 03 2020 Apr 3, 2020 Friday, April 03, 2020 9:47:00 PM CDT April 03, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA – Julia Griffin is in the same situation as millions of Americans. She doesn’t know when she’ll be able... More >>
1 day ago Friday, April 03 2020 Apr 3, 2020 Friday, April 03, 2020 6:33:00 PM CDT April 03, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Stay-at-home orders and fears of catching or spreading COVID-19 means fewer people are leaving their homes unless they... More >>
1 day ago Friday, April 03 2020 Apr 3, 2020 Friday, April 03, 2020 6:30:00 PM CDT April 03, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Veterans United Foundation is donating a total of $1 million to several communities for COVID-19 relief starting April... More >>
1 day ago Friday, April 03 2020 Apr 3, 2020 Friday, April 03, 2020 3:14:00 PM CDT April 03, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The MU College of Textile and Apparel Management is making Personal Protective Equipment for MU Health Care. ... More >>
1 day ago Friday, April 03 2020 Apr 3, 2020 Friday, April 03, 2020 3:01:00 PM CDT April 03, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - One local business is finding a new way to stop that feeling of isolation. Ragtag Cinema shut... More >>
1 day ago Friday, April 03 2020 Apr 3, 2020 Friday, April 03, 2020 2:43:00 PM CDT April 03, 2020 in News