Battle athlete becomes first CPS student to be a collegiate girl wrestler

1 year 3 months 2 weeks ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 11:00:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News
By: Sania White, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA - Battle High School senior Taylor Reed is the first girl to go to college as a woman wrestler in Columbia Public School District history.

"It's been life-changing wrestling and being part of a team or the first ever here at Battle or in CPS," Reed said.

Reed signed to Westminster College Tuesday night. She plans to study education and become a teacher.

"That was my number one school before wrestling, and I cried when I got accepted into Westminster a couple months before I even started wrestling. It was a sign when they added girls wrestling this year," Reed said.

Reed started wrestling only nine months ago. She played high school softball for four years, but never received college attention.

"When girls from softball were seniors and they signed, in my mind I thought I would never have that day. I didn't see myself as a great softball player," Reed said.

After a successful season in wrestling, including competing at the state competition, Reed finally had her day.

"It's surreal to have this moment today and actually sign," Reed said.

Amanda Shaw, Reed's mom, wasn't too happy about Reed wrestling at first.

"My first response when she told me she wanted to wrestle was like, 'No way. You're not wrestling with guys.' Taylor's accident prone, so I was like 'Oh no, I can see it now,'" Shaw said.

However, Reed was persistent. Her mom became her biggest supporter and encourages other parents.

"It's scary at first, but you know anybody can do it. My daughter can do it. Your daughter can do it," Shaw said.

The Missouri State High School Activities Association made girls wrestling an official high school sport in May 2018. This is the first year girls have been able to compete on their own wrestling team.

Being the first comes with some challenges. Reed said she struggled to help girls who looked up to her because she was still learning.

"I wish I had the exact answer for them, but at time, I didn't. It pushed me a little more. I wanted to be that person later on in life that will be able to help coach other girls and inspire them to wrestle," Reed said.

Her teammate, Jasmine Westendorf, is a sophomore wrestler who fought back tears during the signing day.

"I really look up to her. It makes me really happy that she tried so hard," Westendorf said.

She said Reed is like a big sister to her. Westendorf hopes to be like Reed.

"I look up to her to be the second girl to sign from Battle High School for wrestling," Westendorf said.

Reed plans to go back to Battle to coach as well.

"I love Battle. I will always be a die hard fan of Battle because it has made me who I am today. I'd love to come back here and work with the amazing people," she said.

She said her main focus in college will be her education.

"I'm still going to have to be a student first," Reed said.

She is looking forward to continuing her wrestling career.

"In college I hope to have the same type of experience I had in high school, but it will be nice because it won't be just for one year. I'll have four years left, which is amazing," Reed said.

Reed received a partial wrestling scholarship to Westminster that will cover the majority of her education.

COLUMBIA - Following Tuesday's school board meeting, Columbia Public Schools' Superintendent Peter Stiepleman talked with KOMU 8's Emily Spain about... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 8:25:00 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — It's been almost one month since Columbia residents were told their recycling would no longer be picked up... More >>
3 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 6:36:00 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY — The Senate Committee on Transportation, Infrastructure, and Public Safety voted to approve a bill (SB1) to address... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 5:35:00 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
MISSOURI — As COVID-19 continues to spread throughout Missouri, state and local officials confirm new case counts daily. This... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 5:30:00 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA— The Missouri State High School Activities Association has given fully online schools the opportunity to compete within in-person activities.... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 4:58:00 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
5 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 4:41:17 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY — Less than 24 hours after securing the Republican nomination for governor, Mike Parson gave a media briefing... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 4:39:00 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA —The University of Missouri has announced a new temporary program that does not require standardized testing for all first-time... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 3:03:00 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — Amendment 2, which greatly expands Medicaid eligibility in Missouri, passed Tuesday night. But the next steps are more... More >>
8 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 2:13:00 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — Truman's Bar and Grill was issued a formal citation from Columbia's municipal court for violating the recent social... More >>
9 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 12:57:30 PM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
As COVID-19 continues to spread, KOMU 8 will continue to update you about impacts in the community. You can... More >>
10 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 11:30:00 AM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
FULTON — Leaders from across Callaway County met in Fulton on Wednesday to present a unified message regarding COVID-19. ... More >>
11 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 10:59:00 AM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
(CNN) -- Vitamin D is known as the "sunshine vitamin" because your body absorbs the nutrient primarily through exposure to... More >>
11 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 10:40:06 AM CDT August 05, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
( Missourian ) - The Columbia School Board is considering delaying the district’s start date to after Labor Day... More >>
11 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 10:28:11 AM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The registration process for students is changing while students also change their classes for the fall semester.... More >>
12 hours ago Wednesday, August 05 2020 Aug 5, 2020 Wednesday, August 05, 2020 10:00:00 AM CDT August 05, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY — Current Missouri Governor Mike Parson will be on the ballot in November after securing the Republican nomination... More >>
23 hours ago Tuesday, August 04 2020 Aug 4, 2020 Tuesday, August 04, 2020 10:45:00 PM CDT August 04, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA— Missourians voted to expand Medicaid eligibility, according to reporting from the Associated Press. The State Auditor’s Office estimated... More >>
23 hours ago Tuesday, August 04 2020 Aug 4, 2020 Tuesday, August 04, 2020 10:22:00 PM CDT August 04, 2020 in News
PETTIS COUNTY — The Pettis County prosecutor has called for an independent special prosecutor to investigate the death of Hannah... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, August 04 2020 Aug 4, 2020 Tuesday, August 04, 2020 10:06:00 PM CDT August 04, 2020 in News