Battle athlete becomes first CPS student to be a collegiate girl wrestler

9 months 4 days 22 hours ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 11:00:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News
By: Sania White, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA - Battle High School senior Taylor Reed is the first girl to go to college as a woman wrestler in Columbia Public School District history.

"It's been life-changing wrestling and being part of a team or the first ever here at Battle or in CPS," Reed said.

Reed signed to Westminster College Tuesday night. She plans to study education and become a teacher.

"That was my number one school before wrestling, and I cried when I got accepted into Westminster a couple months before I even started wrestling. It was a sign when they added girls wrestling this year," Reed said.

Reed started wrestling only nine months ago. She played high school softball for four years, but never received college attention.

"When girls from softball were seniors and they signed, in my mind I thought I would never have that day. I didn't see myself as a great softball player," Reed said.

After a successful season in wrestling, including competing at the state competition, Reed finally had her day.

"It's surreal to have this moment today and actually sign," Reed said.

Amanda Shaw, Reed's mom, wasn't too happy about Reed wrestling at first.

"My first response when she told me she wanted to wrestle was like, 'No way. You're not wrestling with guys.' Taylor's accident prone, so I was like 'Oh no, I can see it now,'" Shaw said.

However, Reed was persistent. Her mom became her biggest supporter and encourages other parents.

"It's scary at first, but you know anybody can do it. My daughter can do it. Your daughter can do it," Shaw said.

The Missouri State High School Activities Association made girls wrestling an official high school sport in May 2018. This is the first year girls have been able to compete on their own wrestling team.

Being the first comes with some challenges. Reed said she struggled to help girls who looked up to her because she was still learning.

"I wish I had the exact answer for them, but at time, I didn't. It pushed me a little more. I wanted to be that person later on in life that will be able to help coach other girls and inspire them to wrestle," Reed said.

Her teammate, Jasmine Westendorf, is a sophomore wrestler who fought back tears during the signing day.

"I really look up to her. It makes me really happy that she tried so hard," Westendorf said.

She said Reed is like a big sister to her. Westendorf hopes to be like Reed.

"I look up to her to be the second girl to sign from Battle High School for wrestling," Westendorf said.

Reed plans to go back to Battle to coach as well.

"I love Battle. I will always be a die hard fan of Battle because it has made me who I am today. I'd love to come back here and work with the amazing people," she said.

She said her main focus in college will be her education.

"I'm still going to have to be a student first," Reed said.

She is looking forward to continuing her wrestling career.

"In college I hope to have the same type of experience I had in high school, but it will be nice because it won't be just for one year. I'll have four years left, which is amazing," Reed said.

Reed received a partial wrestling scholarship to Westminster that will cover the majority of her education.

CALLAWAY COUNTY - A judge sentenced a Fulton man to 17 years in prison last week after he admitted to... More >>
2 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 4:59:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Police are investigating a shooting between two cars, which started at a roundabout on Business Loop 70 Sunday... More >>
3 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 3:07:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
CALABASAS, Calif. - NBC reports Kobe Bryant and daughter Gianna are among nine people who died in a helicopter crash... More >>
4 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:22:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Even though he grew up in Kentucky, Braden Tyrer is as big a Chiefs fan as they come.... More >>
4 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:21:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — A former southwestern Missouri fire chief convicted last year of raping a young woman has been... More >>
5 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 1:30:17 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Health officials in Los Angeles County have confirmed a fourth U.S. case of the new pneumonia-like... More >>
5 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 1:24:49 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The City of Columbia, Voluntary Action Center (VAC), and the Downtown Optimist Club are putting on their annual... More >>
7 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:31:00 AM CST January 26, 2020 in Continuous News
KINGDOM CITY— A Callaway County Sheriff's Office deputy found a stole firearm, numerous "felony level controlled substances" and drug paraphernalia... More >>
8 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:50:00 AM CST January 26, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Abortion is expected to play a key role in Missouri's 2020 governor’s race, when voters... More >>
8 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:21:45 AM CST January 26, 2020 in News
BENTON COUNTY — A Blue Springs, Missouri woman is dead after a crash Saturday night. Andralee Taylor, 32, was... More >>
9 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:20:01 AM CST January 26, 2020 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Boone County will celebrate its bicentennial in 2020, and one of the first efforts to create a... More >>
9 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:01:00 AM CST January 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA- Singing, dancing, and speaking were all part of The Cultural Association of India's annual India Day celebration Saturday afternoon.... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 5:05:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA— Officers with the University of Missouri Police Department arrested John T. McLiney, 19, on one count of... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 4:00:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The Choral Arts Alliance of Missouri is holding its 5th Annual Unity Concert. The goal of the event... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:53:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in News
FULTON - About 20 Fulton YMCA members kicked the cold Saturday by bundling up and running in the 4th annual... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:48:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in News
BOONVILLE — The third annual Superfinn Autism Foundation Guns and Hoses Event was hosted at Boonville High School Saturday. ... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:10:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA- More than 100 people showed up for the 7th annual ROC 7K Trail run at Cosmo Park Saturday morning.... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:04:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA – Dozens of veterans showed up to All American Dental for free dental work Saturday. Leroy Strube, a... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 2:04:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in News