City of Columbia releases mask ordinance
COLUMBIA — After the Columbia City Council voted to approve a mandatory face mask order Monday night, the City of Columbia released the finalized ordinance.
Here are some takeaways from the ordinance:
- The ordinance goes into effect Friday at 5 p.m., and will run for 90 days. The City has the authority to extend the order, if necessary.
- Homemade or factory face masks count, but a covering that covers the wearers forehead and eyes does not.
- Masks with a one-way valve that allow for droplets to be exhaled do not count.
- Employers must provide masks for their employees.
- Violating the ordinance comes with a $15 fine for an individual, or a $100 fine for a business.
- Exempted activities include exercising outdoors or indoors when six feet of distance can be maintained, eating and drinking and engaging in outdoor activities when a distance of six feet can be maintained.
- People with medical conditions that would prevent mask wearing, and people under the age of 10 are also exempt.
You can read the full ordinance here.
COLUMBIA - After school programs have to make adjustments because of the Columbia school board’s vote to delay the start... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY - A Monday crash in Jefferson City damaged three parked vehicles and injured the driver. Curtis Murrell... More >>
COLUMBIA - KOMU 8 confirmed on the scene of the incident a man was shot on Tuesday at the Columbia... More >>
COLUMBIA - Columbia mayor Brian Treece called on college students to make smart choices when returning to campus. "I... More >>
COLUMBIA - Mizzou superfan Brian Garner has accumulated hundreds of coaches and players' signatures on his prosthetic leg. He hasn't... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY - Public school administrators discussed, Tuesday afternoon, the district's reopening plans, as student prepare for the start of... More >>
COLUMBIA — In a new briefing Tuesday afternoon, Columbia police asked the public for information on two separate early-morning incidents.... More >>
(CNN) -- [Breaking news update, published at 4:40 p.m. ET] The Pac-12 Conference CEO Group unanimously voted Tuesday to... More >>
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — Joe Biden has chosen California Sen. Kamala Harris as his running mate. It’s a move... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY – A news conference staged Tuesday put mourners and activists in front of cameras to call on Governor... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY — The Jefferson City School Board has agreed to sell the former Simonsen Ninth Grade Center building to... More >>
As COVID-19 continues to spread, KOMU 8 will continue to update you about impacts in the community. You can... More >>
JEFFERSON CITY - The Missouri Supreme Court upheld a lower court's ruling awarding damages to a woman injured when her... More >>