CMU Football Coach Jody Ford Gets "Tough" Against Cancer

6 years 2 days 16 hours ago Thursday, October 10 2013 Oct 10, 2013 Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:57:00 PM CDT October 10, 2013 in News
By: Maddy Glab, KOMU8 Sports Reporter

FAYETTE - Central Methodist University head football coach Jody Ford likes to run tough practices. There's a hill near Davis Stadium that Ford makes the team run from time to time. But Ford is also running up a hill of his own.

"He puts us through a lot when it comes to that hill," senior offensive lineman Bo Amos said.

"We have what's called an MT time, a mental toughness time where we just kick their butt for a few minutes and really let them have it," Ford said. "We run them hills all the time, and then as soon as we get finished running hills, they have to come out in two minute drills and they have to be able to think and focus and be able to excel. It's tough, I mean we put them through a lot of things but they're a special group of kids. They don't flinch, they like to smile back at me and say coach keep it coming, keep it coming because we are going to keep it coming. And that's what I love about this team."

"It's like 'is this guy off his rocker, out of his skull?'" red shirt junior linebacker Conner White said.

"We put them through an unbelievable off season. I mean I put these guys through hell, our coaches put them through that," Ford said.

"He really likes to make sure to push us to our limits and get the best out of everyone," junior quarterback Kaleb Borghardt said.

"You can't be a prima donna on our team, we will run you off. You will not be allowed to be here if that's the case, Ford said. "We have tough guys. Like I said, the stuff that we put our kids through, they have to be able to overcome adversity and our kids know that, especially our older kids. And our older kids, if they see a new kid come in who's not willing to deal with adversity, our older kids don't want him here."

Ford is dealing with some adversity himself. He preaches the word to his team almost every day. But it's not everyday that you hear what Ford had to say about his adversity.

"As soon as he gave the news you know it was just absolutely deafening silence you know everybody kind of stood at attention. Everybody was just kind of shocked at the time, but as soon as that happened everybody rallied together," said White.

The Central Methodist Eagles rallied together because they believe their coach can beat the adversity.

"I found out, we were on vacation in Galveston, Texas, and I realized that there was something wrong with me at that time. And just like any tough guy would you think, 'oh it will just go away, don't worry about it, whatever,'" Ford said. "And, all of a sudden a month went by and it hadn't gone away. And so we went to a doctor in Columbia and she referred us to a specialist, and what she thought might be. And the specialist did their surgery and checked me out and realized 'you know you have cancer' and it had gotten into a lymph node, it was rectal cancer."

It's a rare form of rectal cancer for someone who is under the age of 40. In fact about 90 percent of those with this type of cancer are over 50.

"At first I was kind of sad, mad because I couldn't do anything for him," Associate head coach Miguel Paredes said. "It still kind of hurts, the fact that you know I can't do stuff for him. I told him I wish I could trade places with him but you know he tells me 'don't give me any sympathy, treat me the way you would, make him laugh and stuff.' So that's what helps me be inspired, keep going every day."

Coach Paredes will switch places with Ford, on the field. But that is only when Ford is at MD Anderson in Texas receiving radiation and chemotherapy. Ford travels to Texas every week, Monday through Friday for treatment. But he will back every Saturday to coach his team on the sidelines and not in a hospital bed.

"The doctors said 'hey when we do chemo you know you're going to be tired, you're going to be doing this,' and his response to them was 'I'm making it to every game on Saturday,'" Paredes said.

Through adversity Ford said he's able to find a very positive attitude, an attitude that he said will never change, no matter what type of day he's having.

"Every day should be positive because 'yes I have cancer and 'yes I could be gone in a year or whenever,' but 'my goodness I could be gone tomorrow so why take the breath that's going in my lungs right now for granted,'" Ford said.

His coaching staff and players caught on to this contagious attitude.

"I feel sorry for cancer rather than I feel sorry for him," said Paredes.

"If there's anybody that's going to beat it, it's definitely that guy," said White. "I have no doubt that it's something that is just going to be a little speed bump for him."

"It's not going to be victorious that's for sure because he's a hard headed guy when it comes to putting his mind to something," Borghardt said. "He's going to make sure it happens no matter what."

"One thing I have control over is my attitude and my mentality and there's nothing on this planet that is going to break me," Ford said. "Put me in something bad and watch me respond to it."

ROCHEPORT - The Missouri Department of Natural Resources said the number of people using the Katy Trail is down by... More >>
4 hours ago Sunday, October 13 2019 Oct 13, 2019 Sunday, October 13, 2019 3:08:00 PM CDT October 13, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The CDC began monitoring the 2019-2020 flu season this weekend. And doctors are urging people to get their... More >>
5 hours ago Sunday, October 13 2019 Oct 13, 2019 Sunday, October 13, 2019 2:55:00 PM CDT October 13, 2019 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA — Six Columbia churches had their first Sunday service with improved emergency health precautions on Oct. 13. The... More >>
6 hours ago Sunday, October 13 2019 Oct 13, 2019 Sunday, October 13, 2019 2:00:00 PM CDT October 13, 2019 in News
HARSTBURG – Celebrating another fall season with pumpkin carving, hayrides and a straw maze, the 28th annual Hartsburg Pumpkin Festival... More >>
12 hours ago Sunday, October 13 2019 Oct 13, 2019 Sunday, October 13, 2019 8:00:00 AM CDT October 13, 2019 in News
TOKYO (AP) — A heavy downpour and strong winds pounded Tokyo and surrounding areas on Saturday as a powerful typhoon... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:03:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
LILBOURN, Mo. (AP) — A small earthquake has been reported in southeastern Missouri. The U.S. Geological Survey says... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 7:41:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — One person died after a crash in Cooper County Saturday morning. Haven Pennington, 19, drove her Pontiac... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 4:55:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
There is 5:40 left in the game. North Kansas City's Ronaldo Calderon kicks a field goal to give the... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 12:36:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY — The dome of the Missouri Capitol building will be lit pink in honor of breast cancer... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 12:08:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
HARTSBURG - The Hartsburg Pumpkin Festival announced parking will be moved to the river roads near the festival grounds. ... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 5:50:44 AM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - A Columbia man is behind bars after a search warrant turned up illegal drugs and and a firearm.... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 10:07:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Below are scores from football games around mid-Missouri. Final scores are in bold. ... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 6:39:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in Friday Night Fever
COLUMBIA - Friday Night Fever’s Week 7 Game of the Week features an interesting game between a traveling Rockhurst (3-3)... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 6:10:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in Friday Night Fever
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department is asking for the public’s help locating 28-year-old Mengqi Ji Elledge. Elledge was... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 4:38:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in News
NEW FLORENCE - The Missouri State Highway Patrol awarded Randy Nordman and his widow Julie Nordman with the department's highest... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 3:52:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in News
CALIFORNIA - The Moniteau County Sheriff’s Office and the California Police Department made contact with people in two vehicles that... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 1:59:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - University of Missouri Chancellor, Alexander Cartwright, gave the 2019 State of the University Address on Friday, speaking about... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 1:34:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - Ten men who have only known recent life in prison are now a step closer to success... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 12:46:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in Top Stories