Columbia man goes from prison to career in three months, wins award

6 months 2 weeks 4 days ago Friday, March 29 2019 Mar 29, 2019 Friday, March 29, 2019 11:10:00 PM CDT March 29, 2019 in News
By: Emily Spain, KOMU 8 News Anchor

COLUMBIA - Teron Wings' road to success wasn't always the smoothest ride. In March 2017, he got out of prison and was determined to change his direction in life.

"I learned this that you can't have no success without struggle," Wings said. "Lot of people know I came out of prison, I was in a halfway house here in Columbia."

Within a couple of weeks of getting released, he ended up at Job Point after hearing about it through a friend. The organization helps prepare people in the mid-Missouri area to enter the workforce.

"He was like it's got a heavy equipment program and I should try it," Wings said. "I've never been in a place like that where, I mean a place period where everybody was like friendly, I thought I was in some type of different time zone or area or whatever."
Wings' signed up for Job Point's heavy highway course with instructor Justin Gibson.
"I could tell he was kind of a shooting star in the beginning, like he wanted to learn. I could tell he grasped it pretty well. He was always eager to try the new things," Gibson said about Wings.
Gibson's class teaches students everything from how to operate trucks and cranes to working with asphalt and concrete.
"Justin tried to, you know, find something where we can actually visualize it and see what it was actually talking about in the book, instead of just reading it," Wings said.
Then, students put their work in the classroom to the test with an internship withe the city of Columbia's street division. The crew is in charge of asphalt and concrete repairs, snow removal and more.
Wings harnessed his skills and stood out at the same time, according to division supervisor Tim Sublett.
"His work habits, his personality, he's a giving person, too," Sublett said.
And he wasn't the only person to notice Wings, so did Chester Bross Construction.
"His big plus is that he is dependable, he put in the work and the effort, he learned the skills and he set himself up for success," Rod Harlan, the company's HR director, said.
In June 2017, three months after he left prison in his rearview mirror, Wings got a job as part of Chester Bross' milling crew.
"He's been on Highway 70, Highway 44, he's been all over the state," Harlan said.
"I feel different because I've got this job," Wings said. "It was a great feeling with my background, I mean, what I've been through. That's the greatest thing that's ever happened to me."
Wings said he's glad to be on a straighter path and thankful Job Point helped pave the way.
"I always go by there, I tell them thank you, I mean, it's like when I stepped in there my whole life changed," Wings said. "Now I feel like I'm a part of something, I feel like I'm a part of America, you know, so that's what it means to me."
Wings was one of two Award of Excellence winners this year. Job Point gives out the awards at its annual banquet. The winners are chosen based on exemplary employment and overcoming personal obstacles.
To read about this year's other Award of Excellence winner, James White, click here.

COLUMBIA - On Wednesday morning the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA) released an update to global land and ocean... More >>
7 minutes ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:49:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in Climate
MEXICO – A vape business owner defended their products after Governor Mike Parson released his ‘Clean the Air’ campaign Tuesday.... More >>
45 minutes ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:11:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — Police chased a person through Columbia Wednesday night after they said the suspect failed to pull over for... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:07:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - State Auditor Nicole Galloway released an audit Wednesday of the Insurance Dedicated Fund and the Insurance Examiners'... More >>
3 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:48:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Sharp End Heritage Committee unveiled seven new markers Wednesday that will be placed on the African American... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:48:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY — Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt filed a lawsuit against Cory Mincey and Puppy Love Kennel of Dallas... More >>
COLUMBIA - In an effort to decrease the number of suicides across the state, a non-profit group is teaming up... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:45:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
MILLER COUNTY - A Tuscumbia man has been sentenced to 15 years in the Missouri Department of Corrections for failure... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:42:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Three former Cole County Emergency Medical Services employees filed lawsuits against the county on Monday, claiming discrimination... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:33:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A precautionary boil water advisory has been issued for Missouri American Water customers in Jefferson City after... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:16:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - A Pennsylvania law firm has filed a class-action lawsuit against Hy-Vee. The lawsuit comes after the grocery... More >>
8 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:31:00 PM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
DETROIT (AP) — Bargainers for General Motors and the United Auto Workers have reached a tentative contract deal that could... More >>
10 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:05:35 AM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
COLE COUNTY - A St. Thomas man is dead after a tractor crash Tuesday evening. According to the Missouri... More >>
12 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:53:00 AM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - New trail markers identifying places of interest in the African American community are coming to the downtown Columbia... More >>
18 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:53:00 AM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The local segment of a national student film competition called "Campus Movie Fest" (CMF) is starting Wednesday at... More >>
18 hours ago Wednesday, October 16 2019 Oct 16, 2019 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:52:00 AM CDT October 16, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia school district is investigating after a racist image imitating the web site of Columbia's Gentry Middle... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:24:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri Police Department (MUPD) is investigating a sexual assault that happened over the weekend near... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:53:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Twelve Democratic presidential candidates took stage Tuesday night in Ohio while mid-Missouri viewers watched on television. The debate... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:44:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News