Columbia man goes from prison to career in three months, wins award

3 weeks 4 days 21 hours ago Friday, March 29 2019 Mar 29, 2019 Friday, March 29, 2019 11:10:00 PM CDT March 29, 2019 in News
By: Emily Spain, KOMU 8 News Anchor

COLUMBIA - Teron Wings' road to success wasn't always the smoothest ride. In March 2017, he got out of prison and was determined to change his direction in life.

"I learned this that you can't have no success without struggle," Wings said. "Lot of people know I came out of prison, I was in a halfway house here in Columbia."

Within a couple of weeks of getting released, he ended up at Job Point after hearing about it through a friend. The organization helps prepare people in the mid-Missouri area to enter the workforce.

"He was like it's got a heavy equipment program and I should try it," Wings said. "I've never been in a place like that where, I mean a place period where everybody was like friendly, I thought I was in some type of different time zone or area or whatever."
Wings' signed up for Job Point's heavy highway course with instructor Justin Gibson.
"I could tell he was kind of a shooting star in the beginning, like he wanted to learn. I could tell he grasped it pretty well. He was always eager to try the new things," Gibson said about Wings.
Gibson's class teaches students everything from how to operate trucks and cranes to working with asphalt and concrete.
"Justin tried to, you know, find something where we can actually visualize it and see what it was actually talking about in the book, instead of just reading it," Wings said.
Then, students put their work in the classroom to the test with an internship withe the city of Columbia's street division. The crew is in charge of asphalt and concrete repairs, snow removal and more.
Wings harnessed his skills and stood out at the same time, according to division supervisor Tim Sublett.
"His work habits, his personality, he's a giving person, too," Sublett said.
And he wasn't the only person to notice Wings, so did Chester Bross Construction.
"His big plus is that he is dependable, he put in the work and the effort, he learned the skills and he set himself up for success," Rod Harlan, the company's HR director, said.
In June 2017, three months after he left prison in his rearview mirror, Wings got a job as part of Chester Bross' milling crew.
"He's been on Highway 70, Highway 44, he's been all over the state," Harlan said.
"I feel different because I've got this job," Wings said. "It was a great feeling with my background, I mean, what I've been through. That's the greatest thing that's ever happened to me."
Wings said he's glad to be on a straighter path and thankful Job Point helped pave the way.
"I always go by there, I tell them thank you, I mean, it's like when I stepped in there my whole life changed," Wings said. "Now I feel like I'm a part of something, I feel like I'm a part of America, you know, so that's what it means to me."
Wings was one of two Award of Excellence winners this year. Job Point gives out the awards at its annual banquet. The winners are chosen based on exemplary employment and overcoming personal obstacles.
To read about this year's other Award of Excellence winner, James White, click here.

COLUMBIA- A proposed wind project in Harrisburg is now getting the local government involved. The Boone County planning and... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:55:00 PM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
CALLAWAY COUNTY - The Missouri House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday that allows the state to sell Rice Hall,... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:25:00 PM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Cancer patients could receive health insurance coverage for dental and fertility preservation procedures if two Missouri House... More >>
3 hours ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 5:26:00 PM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Jefferson City Police are trying to figure out what happened at a big fight near Lincoln University's... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 4:04:00 PM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - People wanting to draw attention to sexual violence made more than a fashion statement by wearing denim on... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:45:00 PM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia Public Schools provided additional information Wednesday amid a legal dispute over collective bargaining with the Columbia Missouri... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:18:00 PM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
FULTON - The Fulton Fire Department is starting the process to carry and use Narcan, or the generic Naloxone, during... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:03:00 PM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA – The Missouri River Relief, a nonprofit organization, met with Columbia Public Schools to use their new boat, “Lucia,”... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:00:00 PM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – A new bill is designed to simplify the tax process by cutting the number of income tax... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:14:00 PM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Gov. Mike Parson is seeking a major disaster declaration in response to severe flooding in... More >>
10 hours ago Wednesday, April 24 2019 Apr 24, 2019 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 10:52:00 AM CDT April 24, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA – Several community members joined Columbia Police Interim Chief Geoff Jones and committee panel members Tuesday to discuss racial... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:21:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia's Building Construction Codes Commission approved reconstruction plans for the Columbia Canine Sports Center at a meeting Monday... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:00:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Missouri National Education Association (CMNEA) filed a lawsuit in Boone County alleging Columbia Public Schools violated... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:58:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Beulah Ralph Elementary School has found its new principal. According to a news release from Columbia Public... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:28:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - A donation of 7.81 acres of land was given to the Columbia Parks and Recreation department by MBS... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:10:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A Missouri senator described a bill to limit prescription of opioids by dentists as "another tool we... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:40:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Tax preparer H&R Block says its co-founder, Henry Bloch, has died at the age of 96.... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:03:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Nathan Schelp is an 11-year-old with an unknown genetic disorder. On Tuesday, he testified in front of... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:44:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in Top Stories