Columbia man pulls driver out of harm's way, protects couple

4 years 6 months 1 week ago Wednesday, March 11 2015 Mar 11, 2015 Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:53:00 PM CDT March 11, 2015 in News
By: Katie Moeller, KOMU 8 News Reporter

COOPER COUNTY - Columbia local Steve Whitaker said he knew when he saw a car accident last week that whoever was driving the car was going to need help.

"I didn't even think about it," Whitaker said. "It was just second nature to see if anyone needed help."

A witness said the car spun out of control and flipped. Charles Yelm, the driver, is awaiting trial in the Cooper County Detention Center after fleeing the scene of that accident.

"He almost pushed me off the road several times that day," Allison Drooley, said. "I looked back behind me after I passed him and saw his car flipping over."

Whitaker said the driver was lying in the fast lane at the scene of the accident, near mile marker 90 on I-70.

"I pulled him out of the road and got him standing in front of my car," Whitaker said. "He told me not to call 911. He said he didn't want to go back to jail."

Whitaker said that's when he noticed the driver was clutching a bottle of whiskey.

"From my training as a Marine, I could tell that he was intoxicated," Whitaker said. "He couldn't process a sentence, couldn't walk straight, or speak clearly."

When the driver heard Whitaker call 911, Whitaker said Yelm became irate.

"He said, 'are you gonna screw me over and send me back to jail?'" Whitaker said. "At that point, he began stumbling down the nearby embankment."

Whitaker said he saw Yelm approach a nearby home.

"I followed him, just because I didn't know what he was going to do," Whitaker said.

That home belongs to Kenneth Lammers, who said he was originally worried that Yelm was injured.

"He was lying between a bush and my front door," Lammers said. "He got up then and told me he didn't want to go back to jail. I asked him if there was anyone he wanted to call, and he said no."

Yelm then entered the Lammers' home.

"When I walked up to the house, I saw him in the laundry room," Whitaker said. "So I tried to open the door, but Yelm held it shut."

Whitaker said Yelm eventually let him in.

"I introduced myself to the couple, let them know I was a Marine," said Whitaker. "I made sure to put myself in between them and him in case he was going to try anything."

When Missouri State Highway Patrol and the Cooper County Sheriff's Department arrived, Whitaker said Yelm tried to escape.

"When I told him the ambulance was waiting for him, he left the house and went straight the opposite way."

Highway Patrol eventually caught up with Yelm, who is scheduled to go to court next week. In court filings, Yelm is charged with attempted assault and property destruction from the same day. Prosecutors could still file more charges.

Lammers said while he didn't think Yelm was dangerous, he's glad Whitaker was there.

"I thought that I could probably handle him, you know, in the state he was in," he said. "But it sure made me feel a lot better to have a Marine there."

COLUMBIA - The 42nd annual Mid-Missouri Heritage Festival is being held in Columbia this weekend. This is a family-friendly... More >>
1 hour ago Saturday, September 21 2019 Sep 21, 2019 Saturday, September 21, 2019 7:07:00 PM CDT September 21, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY — Rain didn't stop family, friends and members of the Central Missouri chapter of Parents of Murdered Children... More >>
1 hour ago Saturday, September 21 2019 Sep 21, 2019 Saturday, September 21, 2019 6:52:00 PM CDT September 21, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — The University of Missouri Police Department sent out a crime notification to students about a burglary Friday night.... More >>
2 hours ago Saturday, September 21 2019 Sep 21, 2019 Saturday, September 21, 2019 6:17:00 PM CDT September 21, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - A mysterious substance caused dangerously slick road conditions on the entrance ramp to Highway 63 from Paris Road... More >>
5 hours ago Saturday, September 21 2019 Sep 21, 2019 Saturday, September 21, 2019 3:39:00 PM CDT September 21, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — Columbia College volleyball player Shelby Meyer died early Saturday morning in an off-campus accident. Meyer, 21, was... More >>
5 hours ago Saturday, September 21 2019 Sep 21, 2019 Saturday, September 21, 2019 3:27:00 PM CDT September 21, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Missouri officials are reminding drivers about the importance of car seats during National Child Passenger Safety Week,... More >>
6 hours ago Saturday, September 21 2019 Sep 21, 2019 Saturday, September 21, 2019 2:00:00 PM CDT September 21, 2019 in News
MILLER COUNTY - Deputies arrested seven people in connection to a drug bust on Thursday, according to a news release.... More >>
6 hours ago Saturday, September 21 2019 Sep 21, 2019 Saturday, September 21, 2019 1:52:00 PM CDT September 21, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Police are investigating a report of shots fired on McBaine Avenue near Sexton Road late Friday night. ... More >>
17 hours ago Saturday, September 21 2019 Sep 21, 2019 Saturday, September 21, 2019 2:43:10 AM CDT September 21, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia Police announced Friday officers made an arrest in the homicide of E'quan Spain. Michael L. Anderson... More >>
21 hours ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 10:46:00 PM CDT September 20, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — A crash involving three cars shut down a section of Providence Road Friday night. Columbia Urgent Care... More >>
23 hours ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 9:34:00 PM CDT September 20, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Below are scores from football games around mid-Missouri. Final scores are in bold. ... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 6:09:00 PM CDT September 20, 2019 in Friday Night Fever
COLUMBIA - The NCAA expected to hit the University of Kansas basketball program with multiple violations allegations. "After a... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 4:10:00 PM CDT September 20, 2019 in Sports
COLUMBIA - Football fans at Battle High School on Friday experienced Columbia Public Schools' new policy preventing kids from bringing... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 3:40:00 PM CDT September 20, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - MU students will pack Memorial Stadium to cheer on the Tigers during Saturday's SEC opener against South Carolina,... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 3:38:00 PM CDT September 20, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia Public School District is replacing all of its trash cans with a three-tier waste system in all... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 1:20:00 PM CDT September 20, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri woman and her late husband, who was killed by the suspect in four... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 1:11:00 PM CDT September 20, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia Fourth Ward Councilman Ian Thomas confirmed Mayor Brian Treece suggested he resign over what became a criminal... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 11:45:00 AM CDT September 20, 2019 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Kansas City, Missouri, police are urging people not to leave grenades "just lying around" after the... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 20 2019 Sep 20, 2019 Friday, September 20, 2019 11:23:32 AM CDT September 20, 2019 in News