Dog dies after being trapped in Jefferson City house fire
JEFFERSON CITY - One of three dogs trapped in a home during a fire died, the Jefferson City Fire Department said Thursday.
Firefighters responded to the to the 900 block of Monroe Street around 6:30 a.m. Thursday morning. They found the home filled with smoke. No people were inside, but crews found three dogs. One died from smoke inhalation, despite efforts to revive it.
JCFD investigators determined the fire started in a trash can from improperly discarded smoking materials. Investigators also saw there were not smoke detectors in the home when the fire started.
JCFD was assisted by police, Cole County EMS, and the city's animal shelter.