Empire Roller Rink, only roller rink in Columbia, closing next weekend

10 months 1 week 6 days ago Saturday, December 29 2018 Dec 29, 2018 Saturday, December 29, 2018 1:05:00 PM CST December 29, 2018 in News
By: David Estrada, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA - After 80 years in operation, the Empire Roller Rink is closing down on Jan. 6. Show-Me Central Habitat for Humanity bought the building to expand its current facility.

The Trent Family opened the rink in 1938. Willie Trent, its current owner, tried to sell it as a roller rink without success.

"There were very few people and the people who did wanted as a rink they didn't have the money, they couldn't close the deal or make a contract on it," he said. "They just couldn't afford it."

Trent said he agreed to sell the building to Habitat for Humanity because it is a good cause.

"It's for the community," Trent said.

Jessica Farris-Ginther said she has skated at the rink since she was a child. Now, she brings her son to the Empire Roller Rink to follow in her footsteps.

"I've been coming here since I was five or six, his age, with my mom and brother and dad," she said.

For some people, the Empire Roller Rink is more than just a place to have fun.

Moo Paw practices competitive skating with her team at the rink.

"For lessons, I come twice a week and for fun, on the summer I come all week but usually just Saturdays," she said.

Trent said that just like Farris-Ginther many other people have grown up skating at the Empire rink.

"There's been so many families that have skated here that the families actually would skate and then there would be a small child come in and say, you know my mom or you know my dad," he said. "Then, there would be somebody else come in, well you know my grandpa."

Trent said, "the rink is my life." He actually lives in an apartment located at the rink.

"I grew up in it, I mean my dad ran the rink and after he passed my mom ran the rink, and after she passed I ran it," he said. "It's always been just something that I did."

He said running the Empire rink has required a lot of commitment on his part.

"There was a time when I counted up and for 50 years I never missed a Friday or a Saturday," Trent said.

But after years in charge of the family business, Trent has decided to retire.

"My kids, they are established and they don't want to work nights and weekends," Trent said. "This is almost like a restaurant business or something, you have to work a lot."

Empire is the only rink in Columbia. Skaters will now have to travel to the "Sk8 Zone" rink in Jefferson City.

"It's sad, it's super sad to see it go but I'm happy for the owners to get to retire," Trent said.

Paw said the closing of Empire would make it a little harder for her to come to skating practices.

"A bit harder for my dad because we have it after school on Wednesday, sometimes," she said. "My dad will have to drive me to Jefferson City."

John Esterline, co-owner of Sk8 Zone, said Trent help them establish their roller rink.

"He's definitely developed the sport around here, helped roll skating stay in the mainstream of the kids’ activities," Esterline said. "He's a livelong memory of the skaters."

Trent called Empire customers his "extended family."

"There's times when I get really busy, sometimes the customers come behind the counter and help," he said.

He said he will miss the rink but he's glad to be able to retire after 55 years of running his family business.

"I'm just 75 years old, so I'm still young but I don't want to be 90 and still be doing the same thing," Trent said.

However, he said it won't be easy to see his family tradition and a landmark in the community die.

"This next week it's going to be a really interesting week because I've had a lot of people come in and shed tears about the place," he said. "It's like a family thing."

COLUMBIA - Veterans from three major wars flew to Washington D.C. early Tuesday morning for the final Central Missouri Honor... More >>
24 minutes ago Tuesday, November 12 2019 Nov 12, 2019 Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:53:00 AM CST November 12, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY — An out-of-control kitchen fire in Jefferson City damaged an apartment Monday evening. The Jefferson City Fire... More >>
5 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 10:48:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
PARIS, Mo. — A veteran of three wars is one of 108 mid- Missouri veterans who are visiting their memorials... More >>
6 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 10:13:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Public Schools’ Board of Education unanimously approved its 2020-2021 calendar Monday night, aligning with a house... More >>
8 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 8:13:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
CALIFORNIA - Winter weather has hit Missouri and the cold weather is not leaving the state soon. People are continuing... More >>
9 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 6:35:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Finding reason for optimism in a shut out is not easy. But true freshman quarterback Connor Bazelak provided... More >>
10 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 6:00:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Truman VA Hospital initiated a Warm Haven program to help shelter veterans overnight as community shelters are... More >>
10 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 5:58:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - MU students, faculty and military honored fallen Missouri student veterans in the annual wreath laying ceremony Monday. ... More >>
10 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 5:42:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA- Some help is coming for Columbia's homeless students. Veterans United Foundation and Columbia Public Schools have partnered to... More >>
12 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 3:20:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
CAMDEN COUNTY - Deputies found two people dead at a home Sunday at the Lake of the Ozarks, according to... More >>
13 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 2:22:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia's Center for Urban Agriculture celebrated its new partnership with Truman Memorial Veterans' Hospital with a ribbon cutting... More >>
14 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 2:12:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Main mid-Missouri roads continue to be slick, while less-traveled roads are covered with snow but passable. Just... More >>
14 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 1:28:00 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
SUNRISE BEACH (AP) — Authorities say a man has drowned in the Lake of the Ozarks. The Missouri State... More >>
15 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 12:30:32 PM CST November 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Snow, cold weather and some slicks roads prompted scattered closings around mid-Missouri on Monday. The list of... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 10:20:00 AM CST November 11, 2019 in News
LINN COUNTY — The North Missouri Arts council will conclude its Veterans Day celebration with a special ceremony Monday. ... More >>
1 day ago Monday, November 11 2019 Nov 11, 2019 Monday, November 11, 2019 3:30:00 AM CST November 11, 2019 in News
CENTRALIA — Many girls dream of getting a horse one day. For Gracie Smith, that dream came true today, thanks... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, November 10 2019 Nov 10, 2019 Sunday, November 10, 2019 8:43:00 PM CST November 10, 2019 in News
UPDATED FORECAST from the Live Doppler 8 First Alert Weather Team is updated multiple times every day and night so... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, November 10 2019 Nov 10, 2019 Sunday, November 10, 2019 7:18:00 PM CST November 10, 2019 in Weather
JEFFERSON CITY - Trees and wreaths filled the halls and rooms of the Goldschmidt Cancer Center Sunday afternoon. The Capital... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, November 10 2019 Nov 10, 2019 Sunday, November 10, 2019 7:17:00 PM CST November 10, 2019 in News
5am