EmVP: 94-year-old World War II veteran still serves his neighbors

1 month 2 days 23 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:40:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in EmVP
By: Emily Spain, KOMU 8 Anchor

COLUMBIA - From ear to ear, it's hard to miss 94-year-old Elmo Winterhalter's smile.

"I don't know I've always been that way, ever since I was a kid," he said about his positive demeanor.

You'll find him greeting customers with his signature grin on Mondays and Fridays at Oakland Plaza Car Wash on Vandiver in Columbia.

"He's always here. He's always smiling," Oakland Plaza Car Wash owner, Joe Wood, said. "It doesn't matter how bad of a day I'm having, anyone's having. Mo walks in with the same smile day in and day out."

You could say Elmo is just tickled to be alive.

"I just thank the good Lord for keeping me around," he said with a laugh.

Known as Mo, he's lived in Boone County for nine decades. He was born in 1925. He's lived through the Great Depression, 16 different presidencies and served in World War II.

"I was a gunner in the artillery. I shot everything from the 75 to a 240," he said.

In 1943, Mo headed to Belgium with the Army. He was 18 years old.

"There's a lot of things I like to forget about. I don't like to talk about it," he said. "I was nervous as a June bug when I got home."

Even then, while serving in the war, Mo was smiling.

"There used to be this paper with an article of this guy they called 'Smilin' Jack' and he was always smiling and some of my buddies just started calling me 'Smilin' Jack,'" he said.

It's not only what Mo has done in his life, it's what he's still doing.

He's still working. He retired after 30 years with Boone County's street division only to pick up a new job at the car wash. This year marks year number 25 there.

"I sit in the house by myself looking at four walls and it gets lonesome. I get to come in here and meet people and talk to them," Mo said.

"When Mo was young that was just part of life, was going to work every day and there wasn't any excuses and he's not about to let his age be one of them," Wood said.

He's also still living alone, driving and serving his neighbors.

"He blades my driveway in the winter time," one of Mo's neighbors, Daryl Isgrig, said. "He takes care of the neighborhood. He takes care of everybody up and down this road. Always has and always will probably."

He's still there for his family.

"He likes to do everything I do," Mo's son, Randy Winterhalter, said. "Never has a bad day it don't seem like or least he don't tell us if he does anyway."

Even after losing his wife ten years ago and one of his two sons two years ago, he's still smiling through the pain.

"I got all these pictures I can look at them and think about all the good times we had...you just got to grit your teeth and bare with it and go on," Mo said. "I guess I'd rather be happy than sad."

If smiling makes your face hurt, then Mo's must be pretty sore.

"He's the happiest person in Boone County," Mo's daughter-in-law, Peggy-Sue Winterhalter, said. "He might be the happiest person in Missouri."

"I'm glad somebody likes me," Mo said with a smile and laugh.

Mo has four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. He was married to his wife, Wanda, for 56 years. After 94 years, he said his advice would be to do what you're told and like his father told him, do it right.

COLUMBIA - After years in the making, Columbia City Council will be one step closer in deciding the final steps... More >>
8 hours ago Sunday, November 17 2019 Nov 17, 2019 Sunday, November 17, 2019 7:05:20 PM CST November 17, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY—The Department of Planning and Protective Services in Jefferson City declared the first building with tornado damage as “dangerous”... More >>
9 hours ago Sunday, November 17 2019 Nov 17, 2019 Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:03:00 PM CST November 17, 2019 in News
SWEET SPRINGS - In some parts of Missouri, rural health care is on life support. A bright green handwritten... More >>
9 hours ago Sunday, November 17 2019 Nov 17, 2019 Sunday, November 17, 2019 5:31:00 PM CST November 17, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — As the hunting season begins hunters are being encouraged to share their harvests to help fellow Missourians. ... More >>
9 hours ago Sunday, November 17 2019 Nov 17, 2019 Sunday, November 17, 2019 5:29:00 PM CST November 17, 2019 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - A new Missouri law will honor five veterans from Boone County killed in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan.... More >>
10 hours ago Sunday, November 17 2019 Nov 17, 2019 Sunday, November 17, 2019 5:03:55 PM CST November 17, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Department of Conservation is urging hunters to stay safe after an incident Saturday night. One... More >>
10 hours ago Sunday, November 17 2019 Nov 17, 2019 Sunday, November 17, 2019 4:59:00 PM CST November 17, 2019 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A Kansas City school district is increasing the pay of its substitute teachers in a... More >>
13 hours ago Sunday, November 17 2019 Nov 17, 2019 Sunday, November 17, 2019 1:49:00 PM CST November 17, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA – From showcasing hand-carved wooden canes to hosting a silent auction for a local food bank, the annual art... More >>
20 hours ago Sunday, November 17 2019 Nov 17, 2019 Sunday, November 17, 2019 7:03:00 AM CST November 17, 2019 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Officials confirmed there was a hunting incident Saturday night. Boone County Sheriff's deputies and several medical... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, November 16 2019 Nov 16, 2019 Saturday, November 16, 2019 6:43:00 PM CST November 16, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - One person has been detained following a police chase that ended at the Taco Bell on Providence Road... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, November 16 2019 Nov 16, 2019 Saturday, November 16, 2019 5:11:00 PM CST November 16, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — Police arrested one person after a report of shots fired on Quail Drive Saturday afternoon. Earl Tramail... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, November 16 2019 Nov 16, 2019 Saturday, November 16, 2019 4:41:00 PM CST November 16, 2019 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Deputies were dispatched to the Midway Travel Plaza on Saturday for a reported bomb threat, but they... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, November 16 2019 Nov 16, 2019 Saturday, November 16, 2019 12:24:00 PM CST November 16, 2019 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Former Kansas City Chiefs football player and eight codefendants have had additional charges filed against them... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, November 16 2019 Nov 16, 2019 Saturday, November 16, 2019 8:51:00 AM CST November 16, 2019 in News
CALIFORNIA - There have been three water boil advisories in the past week for about 50 people in the Hickory... More >>
2 days ago Friday, November 15 2019 Nov 15, 2019 Friday, November 15, 2019 6:57:00 PM CST November 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Prosecutors charged a man Friday with child sex crimes which court documents said happened in 2018 and 2019.... More >>
2 days ago Friday, November 15 2019 Nov 15, 2019 Friday, November 15, 2019 4:05:00 PM CST November 15, 2019 in News
MOBERLY – Moberly City Council approved a $4.6 million bid to replace all of the water meters in the city.... More >>
2 days ago Friday, November 15 2019 Nov 15, 2019 Friday, November 15, 2019 3:28:00 PM CST November 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Organizers from ECHO Autism's summit are pushing for more resources for people with autism in rural Missouri. Many... More >>
2 days ago Friday, November 15 2019 Nov 15, 2019 Friday, November 15, 2019 2:14:00 PM CST November 15, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Housing Authority is looking for ways to give new life to four historical homes. Executive... More >>